PDA

View Full Version : embedFonts and textField not working in Firefox?


katekate
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi there,
I have a bit of a dilemma here. I have a movie which dynamically creates textFields (new textField) and sets them to use html and embedFonts. The text is formatted by importing a stylesheet. There are instances of the fonts embedded explicitly in the same .swf in all flavors (plain, bold, italic, bolditalic).
I am populating those generated fields with HTML text.
In IE, everything is showing up just fine.
In Firefox, I'm seeing other explicitly (non-HTML, hand made) text fields with embedded fonts show fine. However, my actionscript generated fields with embedFonts = true are not showing the text at all. I know they are loading the swf because other, non-text elements are generating and showing like they should.
The .swf is loaded in via the ScrollPane component and then populated with actionscript, if that makes a difference.
I have checked the plugin version on Firefox and just downloaded it again to be safe. Both IE and Firefox have the latest plugin.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Kate

mcmcom
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
how are you embedding the fonts? Are you selecting a subset of characters from the property pane or are you including a static text box off stage with the fonts you need. I suggest you include a static text box that has all the fonts (in italic, bold, normal) that you will need. Put the static box (if possible) off stage at frame 1, to ensure it loads before your dynamic text boxes do. This may help with firefox (did with me once). Sometimes FF doesn't like the "subset of embedded characters" option you can do in Flash Properties panel for the dynamic text boxes, and it sounds like your doing it at runtime (via AS) so it's just good practice to include a static text box with one occurance of every character you will need for the movie (and make sure it loads BEFORE your dynamic text fields)

hth,
mcm

katekate
04-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Thank you so much!
I checked my embedFonts and actually didn't find anything there - I had never thought of adding static fields, I always keep a set of dynamic fields with embeds of all the font varieties (bold, italic, etc).
As it turns out, this particular case was an ID10T error, as my buddy in QA used to say. I was feeding vital information to the movie via the FlashVars parameter, and somehow forgot to include that info in the embed tag (d'oh!). So I'm sorry I wasted your time, but I think your advice is very helpful in general. So thanks again!