PDA

View Full Version : EOLAS : SWFs will break in 1 day!

beau
04-10-2006, 07:09 PM
This should really be stickied, because in two days you're going to see a megatonload of posts asking why flash files require you to click on them to activate them now.

The solution: you need to create a remote (or use an existing js file) javascript file to dynamically write the swf file into the page.

This looks like the best solution.
http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/

Initially, this was supposed to apply only to IE, but it appears to apply to Mozilla and who knows what else. Once this solution is set up, it'll actually be a lot easier to add flash files to pages.

abacajan
04-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Yeah i totally agree. the forum will be loaded with questions about the swfs. Good on you for pointing that out to us!

CyanBlue
04-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify it abit... :)

Flash will NOT break... IE will add additional click to activate it and it will be making worse user experience... But Flash will run as it should be... In other words, if you have a Flash banner that runs on your site, it will run with no problem... If your banner, however, requires a click to do something(like opening a new site), the user will need to double click it(once to activate, and once to register the action)... Nothing more, nothing less...

and yes, I like FlashObject approach... It's sad that it will not do much if the user does not have JavaScript turned on, but I think it is safe to say that the ratio of such people are not that many...

Xeef
04-11-2006, 02:58 PM
and yes, I like FlashObject approach... It's sad that it will not do much if the user does not have JavaScript turned on, but I think it is safe to say that the ratio of such people are not that many...

there are even less people whit JS off and F on ;)

in IE you not even can do so (as long i know) either both on or both off

beau
04-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Wishful thinking.

I just got the stats from our site's yoda (weather.com) and he said the number of folks who hit our site with JS turned off is 10%!!! The number of people with flash? 98%.

Sure, maybe they shut it off just because weather.com is synonymous with ads, but who would bother to shut off js just to visit a single site? Odd stuff.

And if you're an advertiser, or an ad designer, then, by simple definition, yes, these flash ads will break. The click through rate will plummet because of the teensy number of people who DO click on an ad, that number will drop substantially when they click it once and nothing happens, or they hover over it and a box shows up asking them to activate the file - you're looking at hesitant clients already, hoping they'll MAYBE check out whatever you're peddling. As soon as this crap jumps into the mix, bammo, you've got problems.

But sure, for game developers, or site developers, it's not such a critical problem but I bet your clients will still ask you why there's additional problems with the site now.

Which, to me, means that it's going to be broken. The only people who won't perceive this as "broken" will be people who already know about the issue.

Edit:
Firefox? Problems too.

CyanBlue
04-11-2006, 08:04 PM
I do understand what you meant by that but the ads that are provided via major ad providers such as DoubleClick won't get effected because they already use JavaScript to provide the ads...

What sorts of EOLAS related problem do you have with the FireFox??? That's a news to me...

fgf
04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
how do i get hold of the update? I've actually been trying and can get this problem to occur.

Does MS supply crippled copies of IE to EU users?
does it do it throught the standard windows update?
Will this version ever be supplied for win2k machines?

(tune in next week for the exciting conclusion)

beau
04-12-2006, 05:10 PM
From what I've read - and it's been from a bunch of different sources so I don't know how much is valid NOW versus how much was speculation 6 months ago, Firefox is also putting objects on a web browser and therefore it also goes against the core of the Eolas Patent. But I could be wrong. I haven't done the patch here.

It's not a crippled copy of IE - it's the way IE should have been set up 10 years ago, so, technically, they're just now getting it right.

Imagine if IE suddenly became W3C compliant, bam, overnight. There would be a million sites that had to reconfigure their sites to work properly. That's sort of what's happening here.

And yeah, 3rd party advertisers are not too impacted by this change, but we serve a ton of ads locally instead of through 3rd party servers, including all the ads that I do. That's about 300 ads right now. We've been scrambling to get this fix set up, I think we're about 80% finished now.

timeliner
04-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Lucky it's a 4 day Easter holiday here, because my clients would have been screaming when they come back to work tomorrow. I found a solution here (http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html).

Cheers