PDA

View Full Version : Could I use Flash as the front end to a threaded discussion system?

Andy.burnett
03-21-2002, 10:41 PM
I currently run a discussion board where the interface is pure HTML. I am thinking about redeveloping it in Flash - largely for reasons of portability. What I am not sure about is:

1. Can Flash display e.g. 1,000 records in a window and make them scrollable.

2. If it can, how do I represent each entry. Would each record be an instance of a movie clip?

3. Can I make each instance 'clickable' so that I can then display the contents in a window.

As you can see, these are very basic questions, I am trying to get a feel for what is possible - and also what is sensible - to build in Flash.

Thanks

red penguin
03-22-2002, 01:44 AM
I'm gonna run out on a limb here...

1. Yes...
2. If you want each "record" to be (although I am confused by the term "record") a MC, then why not..
3. Can be clickable...One way or another...

Andy.burnett
03-22-2002, 08:45 AM
The reason I was talking about 'records' is that all the individual postings would be stored in a database as records. When you access a thread the Flash app would receive the data as an XML stream.

What I am not clear about is how to hold the data within Flash. I need some kind of record or structure that can hold multiple fields and to be able to display that in a scrollable region. I thought about movie clips because it seemed to be the closest thing Flash has to an object. However, I know very little about this, so there may be much better ways.

What would you recommend?

red penguin
03-22-2002, 12:46 PM
XML would be the way to go...You'd load in the XML and then you'd have it parsed and then tell Flash to do with it what you want...

Scrollable HTML textfields...mc's...whatever floats your boat! Seems like you've got to get yourself a strategy/plan...But it should be doable!

Andy.burnett
03-22-2002, 01:22 PM
If I used a mc as my basic object, what could I use as the container for the mc's. In other words, I can use a dynamic text box to hold HTML and scroll it, is there something equivalent for holding a bunch of mc's?

red penguin
03-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Well, if you want to use the mc's, you could just nest them in a scroller...For example, on the last thing I did, I have many a scroller which are populated by attaching mc's (in the scrollers page) which they themselves have dynamic textfields. I even attach the buttons like that as well...

Andy.burnett
03-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Just to make sure I have got the right end of the stick :)

red penguin
03-22-2002, 09:54 PM
Not sure if there are any examples but what I'd suggest is to get ahold of a scroller of choice and start the experiments!