PDA

View Full Version : Extensions vs. global ClassPaths

timothyph
06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey all - Just wanting to get a general opinion about the advantages/disadvantages of using extensions vs using global classpaths.

In my opinion, it is almost 50/50. In discussions with my coworkers we were talking about the possibility that a 3rd party would need to use our source code, and what would be the better way to approach this kind of stuff...I think that certain classes, once nailed down to perfection, would be useful as extensions, while classes that may need to be tweaked in the future would definately be better as just a global class. However, we weren't able to come to a firm decision on what should be done going forward, it seems up in the air.

What are your thoughts on this?

senocular
06-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I dont know if what you are talking about really compares... Classpaths just define where your classes are saved and extending involves what your class inherits from another class. What specifically are you asking?

timothyph
06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm actually talking about packaging up my classes into .mxps and installing them with Extension Manager, as opposed to setting the global classpath in our fla files.

senocular
06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I think that may just be a matter of preference.

MXPs would probably be easier for the designers
and Specifying classes via their classpaths would be more suitable for developers

timothyph
06-09-2006, 04:51 PM
After thinking about it for a day after I posted this, that's the conclusion I think I've come to as well. Like I said in my first post, I'm 50/50 on it, so I agree with you that it really just comes down to what we want to do, and not so much what is the proper thing to do...Thanks for your expert opinion senocular, I use your site and examples as a reference all the time, and thanks for providing those to our community. We do appreciate it!