PDA

View Full Version : Right tools? How to be Flashy?

Bladeforger
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Let's say I want to develop a simple little project that will require reading and manipulating some data. I understand that Flash 9 is going to be really slick with AS3, etc. So, if I understand this all correctly, I could have an application out on the internet that a user opens up. It is built with Flash. Then I can use some other software, like INM V12 Database for Flash, that will allow a user to store some data on their computer. Or maybe they have to download the app to do this. Whatever.

So Flash 8 costs $699. INM's Director database is $499, so we could reasonably expect that the Beta, when it becomes a product, won't be too far behind. That's a $1,200 investment.

Am I missing something? Are you spending so much money?

Help!

BernzSed
07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
You don't need a huge expensive databse to store information.

If you want to store information on your client's computer, use the SharedObject class. Look it up at http://livedocs.macromedia.com .

If you want to store information on your server, that will require a little more learning. You can get, for free, PHP and mySQL. Flash can communicate with PHP and other server-side stuff using the LoadVars class, and PHP can store and retrieve variables to/from the mySQL database.