PDA

View Full Version : I cant understand this for the life of me!

mattg1981
04-13-2002, 10:41 PM
okay .. real newbie question here ... I am going down the tutorials in order and I ace number one (whooohooo). Then I get to number two (with the mice and instance names and whatnot). I totally understand how that works, and how to name them and all that. But I downloaded the .fla file and took a look at it and tried to basically copy it for learning purposes, by making it on my own. I can not for the life of me figure out how you did that with the mice. How did you make them clickable in order to show the name. I see in the library you have a button and a mc of the mouse, does the button have something to do with it (I have only tried to do it with a mc)? And also what I dont understand is in the dynamic text field, the variable name is 'name'. Where did you assign the individual instance names to 'name'? Can someone please help me out with this little booger. Thanks!

mattg1981
04-13-2002, 11:14 PM
I think I got it figured out now ... maybe

mattg1981
04-13-2002, 11:25 PM
okay .. I figured out how to make my own using the same code ... but say I want to change it up a little ....

This is the action assigned to the buttons ...

on (release) {
/:name = _name;
/:target = _target;
}

I tried changing the /:name = _name; to :/example = _example and then the dynamic text field's variable to example, but that didnt work. I tried just the /:name side and just the _name side seperatly to no avail. I was wondering if someone could clearify what those expressions mean. I have no idea about the target line but I read and understand the targets and paths tutorial (i.e. _root.layer1.layer2.variable ... however, I dont understand where that would come into play just quite yet)
I am sorry, I am still learning ....