PDA

View Full Version : Text animation effect

Swardhorlf
08-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if it's possible with Flash MX to create a text animation that gives the effect that someone is writing?

Hope you understand what I mean...:o

FormerSwinger
08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
yes! This could be achieved e.g. by adding text letter by letter in several frames(a LOT of work) or by using an animated mask that reveals the text letter by letter

Swardhorlf
08-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I didn't want to animate latter by letter as I've got loads of text to enter...

What about the animated mask? Is that esier and less tedious?
Is it just a shape on top of the text that moves?

It would look different from what I have in mind though.
It will not give the impression that someone's writing those words, you know what I mean?

I've seen it before, I'm just not sure I can do it with Flash...

FormerSwinger
08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
the mask is basicly a shape (movieClip) that changes. If you have a lot of text masking is definetly easier. If you animate the mask changes properly you should be able to mimic writing e.g. make the mask "shape tween" rapidly from left to right to reveal a word. Then pause for a short period of time before you reveal the next word. If you vary the pause and tween times slightly it should look like writing.

Swardhorlf
08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, it's an idea.

However I will not be able to animate the shape to follow all the curves of my calligraphic text so it looks like been writing. Uncover a letter no metter how slow won't give that feel...

But thanks, I'll probably end up doing that. :rolleyes:

FormerSwinger
08-09-2006, 07:48 AM
No it wont:(
I assumed you wanted to mimic typing on keyboard

pixelwit
08-09-2006, 08:07 PM
You might try contacting the AS.org user Xeef. He has a coded solution which does what you're looking for (it's in his signature) but I don't think it supports all fonts.

If you want a super realistic way, my favorite is to create an invisible motion guide over top of your fancy text, have a Dot clip animate along the motion guide as a pen tip would, duplicate the dot every frame (with code), and then use the duplicated dots as your mask.

I know there's a demo of the concept in the Movies section of this site since I've pointed people to it a few times before.

-PiXELWiT
http://www.pixelwit.com