PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices: Navigation Buttons in HTML

stevemayman
10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Greetings,

I am designing a site that has a splash screen that is all Flash but most of the content pages are HTML (for ease of editing) with only the navigation buttons in Flash.

The navigation bar will be identical on each page except that the button for the current page will look different to indicate that you are on that page. There are 6 buttons.

Should I create a separate flash file for each button then place the appropriate 6 buttons on the page using HTML, or should I combine the appropriate buttons into a single flash file created for each page so that I only need to place the single file onto each HTML page? What are the pros and cons of each approach?

Thanks!

Steve

guitarman5000
10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
i think the EASIEST way would be to create a separate nav bar respective to each page. u can do this very quickly via "Save As" and you won't have to get down and dirty trying to make the nav bar detect which HTML page is being viewed. i wouldn't even know where to start with that....then again i'm no expert. probably some kind of javascript could do it, but who wants to mess with that??

oh well..that's just my opinion.......

-james

stevemayman
10-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks James,

I was actually thinking that I would create a HTML template that had the individual buttons already placed on the page, then I could just change the tag for the button unique to that page to sub in the special button. That actually seemed simplest to me, but then you are placing 6 flash objects on the page instead of 1, and I don't really understand the implications of that.

Steve