PDA

View Full Version : HTTPService fails in IE6

amamare
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi all,
I'm having some problems with HTTPService calls in IE6. I have several HTTPService-calls, all of them works fine in Firefox, but in IE6 some of them fail. The application is a messaging system, and one of the calls that fails is the following:

<mx:HTTPService id="getAllMessagesRequest" url="{host + '/comsys/actions/getAllMessages.do'}"
method="GET" resultFormat="e4x" result="handleMessageList(event);"
/>

The call is then populated with a simple request-object in the code before it is sent. This call is sent every 15 seconds. The really weird thing is that if the user right-clicks the flex app, and selects "About Flash Player 9...", somehow the call gets through, and the messagelist is updated. It also seems like the call works the first time it's called (when logging in to the system), but that the subsequent calls fail - until right-clicking and selecting "About..".

Any ideas?
Thanks

amamare
11-08-2006, 01:25 PM
So I just realised after posting that it may be related to IE's caching of responses to equal requests, and that that's why the first call works, but not the next - IE simply returns the previous response. A solution is to add a dummy parameter to the request that is different every time, f.ex a new Date().

meddlingwithfir
11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Interesting, I had not heard of this before -- have you been able to test and confirm that thought?

dr_zeus
11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
It's pretty well known. Here is the same solution suggested on Flashcoders:
http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/pipermail/flashcoders/2004-August/119201.html

meddlingwithfir
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Good to know! Just curious --

I've always used Flash Remoting to connect to my ColdFusion components, and I've never ran into this problem. From what I can tell from Flash Remoting, it still uses the HTTP to send the message -- I've looked at a couple dumps of the Request information in ColdFusion that was sent from my Flash App. So why doesn't that get cached as well?