PDA

View Full Version : How to write a text file in flash

nischal
05-23-2002, 06:44 AM
Hello flash programmer,

I want to write into a text file using flash actiona script. Is that at all possible in Flash 5 or in flash MX? if yes, then how please forward the code or a link of the URL where it is explained.

mad_A
05-23-2002, 08:26 AM
I can't say for MX, but I know that it is not possible directly in flash 5. You can write to a socket and build a dll on the client machine to listen to that port, or send content to a script that will write. The basic reason you can't is browser security - if you can write to a machine then you can hack it so it is better that someone cannot write to the machine.

If you find a work around for this let me know.
A

nischal
05-23-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks Andy

my main concern is to writing a text file using flash 5 or MX but as an application. flash file will not be loaded in browser. so client machine permission is not requiered, i think so.

so do u have any suggestion for that?

mad_A
05-23-2002, 09:01 AM
if it is a standalone app you should be able to use

on(release) {
fscommand("save","filename.txt");
}

As far as I know this does not work on Mac OS, but I am not sure - as I don't have a mac!

Jiffy Loop
05-28-2002, 04:57 PM
I just saw this posted in the Intermediate Tutorials...It might be what you're looking for...

www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/intermediate/save_a_local_copy_of_file/index.shtml (http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials/intermediate/save_a_local_copy_of_file/index.shtml)

namaste!!

Abelius
05-28-2002, 06:01 PM
Personally, I am also playing with the idea of being able to write text to files from Flash (MX in mycase), and I think these are the options:

1) If you go server-side then a few steps are being taken away from your "burden drive", as you have plenty tools to do that, such as ASP, PHP and Perl. You can even make ASP pages that would write text to XML files which -later on- you can get the information from.

2) If you want to write stuff directly to a single -let's say- text file, then the thing gets tougher. I did see somewhere in the forums an swf file that was using some C++ program to create text files and include some words, phrases, sentences or variables into them.
basically the way to around this is to use the "exec" command from ActionScript, but as soon as I get my hands on that, I will let you know in more detail... :)

roshankolar
08-24-2007, 09:06 AM
hi nischal,

I had this issue once. If you are gonna create a projector for yor file, then use MDM ZINC. it allows you to write to files and read from them. Its cool and you dont need to go towards PHP and server scripts. it also comes with lots of desktop publishing options.

roshan
creative designer
www.roshan.it.tt