PDA

View Full Version : Fierce Dragon..feed back please

Cota
12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
The Fierce Dragon Martial Arts site was released alittle earlier than it should have been, but thats what the client wanted. There are still a few sections marked coming soon, and the studen login is NOT live as of yet. Tell us what you think of it, how it runs, and if there are any glitches.

Site designed by me (cota) and Flash was done by Flash Gordon, my partner in crime. The server side stuff is still under development.

www.FierceDragonMa.com

astgtciv
12-21-2006, 04:35 AM
The graphics has a nice and luminous feel, the audio backdrop is appropriate and nice. The nunchaks scroller is sweet, but I felt that it should go further down (the top point of the nunchaks hitting the bottom of the scrollbar).

I think that the thing that doesn't live up to the overall quality of the site is the preloader. The preloader should definitely be cooler, with the dragon ball filling up with color or something along the lines. If you want, I have code for an "inverter loader" (you give it an image, it changes the colors in it (i usually use desaturation) and then slowly unmasks the original image as the loading progresses.

Not the best photo of "Master Michael Kimmel" - you can only see half the face :) But hey...

Overall very good!

Cota
12-21-2006, 05:05 AM
Thanks, its still a work in progress...things will be changing over the next few weeks. The nunchucks will sway when you drag them...and the preloader does seem to be its weak point. As far the master kimmel image, I wasnt given much to work with. Changing the images is rather easy, so once I get better images to work with, those will change. I appreciate the comments.

CyanBlue
12-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Looking nice... ;)

Just a couple of stuff...
The top menu is not that clear for me to read... I see you added the background around the texts, but I think that's actaully making it hard to read...
If you click on the menu that you are in, you get the white splash... For example, you are in the Schedule menu, and you click on the Schedule from the top menu, it tries to load that section again...

Other than that, it looks like the site is abit heavy in size even if I have a faster connection...

Cota
12-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, file size is not something that can be overcome. If I sacrafice image quality for file size, then the experience is lost, in my opinion.

CyanBlue
12-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Well... You could find the middle ground, I guess... ;)
Um... Only if you think the loading speed is an issue here... :)

Cota
12-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Thankfully, most people going to this site are specifically going there. So they will wait the few extra seconds for it to load. Also keep in mind, its about 60% done.

MichaelxxOA
12-21-2006, 05:56 PM
I've seen this thing pretty much from start until now so you know my opinion :-P. I think it's very good... Good work.

Michael

PS I do agree with astgtciv about the scroller and the preloader.

Cota
12-21-2006, 06:00 PM
They have noted and shall be changed in the near future.

Flash Gordon
12-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Other than that, it looks like the site is abit heavy in size even if I have a faster connection...

While developing this site, I had it on my server for a long time. When we finally switched in over to the current hosting server, I too felt it was a little large. One of the issue with the speed of the server: the site actually load much quicker on my server than it does on the current one. The first swf to load is 245 total which isn't too big. With that said, maybe we should keep in mind our limitations.

Compare speeds here: http://www.modernmusicians.com/help/Cota/fiercedragon/main.html

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
@astig...would love to see an live example of your preloader.

Cota
12-22-2006, 03:15 AM
the swf is now around 345K. I had to treat a few of the PNG's as lossless because as a jpeg compression the image was too distorted.

majicassassin
12-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Quick side note, don't forget your meta tags!