PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Tutorial

invader
12-29-2006, 02:11 AM
i feel like a bit of a pest going around pointing out bugs ;) i'm just eager to post a new tutorial i wrote specifically for as[org] and submitted back in september.

so my current issue..

i logged in and had two active links: "manage articles" and "create articles"

i clicked on "manage articles" and was happy to see my old tutorial in there. unfortunately, the second page was missing :( i forget what exactly i did, but i think i made a change of some sort then navigated away from that page. when i tried to go back, the tutorial wasn't there at all.

i figured since that one was incomplete and missing, i might as well create a new article that was corrected. i put in both pages of content and saved it. then that one disappeared, too!

i have a hunch that they might both be visible in the "review pending articles" section, but the link to that is inactive.

any thoughts?

oh, and additionally, the old tutorial wasn't and isn't listed in the site map (even before i logged in for the first time). i also checked under Tutorials >> Flash >> Intermediate, and it wasn't in there.

however, when i did a search for it, i found it: here (http://www.actionscript.org/resources/articles/216/1/Dynamic-Spinning-Text-Effect/Page1.html)

i guess it's a good thing it's not easily found, though, because i would hate to have people try to follow it and not get to see the second half! :D

CyanBlue
12-29-2006, 02:15 AM
Interestingly, I see 'Review Pending Articles (5)' on my page, but I only see one tutorial that I have created last night when I click on that link to see if I could approve invader's tutorial...

Jesse
12-29-2006, 04:27 AM
First, thanks for the submission :)

I don't think this one is a bug. Your article was pending approval. Until that time it doesn't show up right... but it's strange that the page appeared to not exist when you wanted to edit it...

If you check out your author page: http://www.actionscript.org/resources/authors/68/Brian-Shaler you now see just one tutorial with two pages... Is that the full and correct tutorial? I think the issues was really just that it was awaiting authorization.

Surprising that the search engine found it since it shouldn't be indexed until it's approved!

Also Brian, you may want to take a look at the most recent video tutorial which shows how to use syntax highlighting as the second page of your tutorial currently breaks the page layout due to the code blocks being pretty wide. (I'll jump in and fix that for you now... Will take 5 minutes)

@ CB - The Pending Articles count is a total count of articles awaiting approval within the system; i.e. not your own Articles, but everyones. As an Admin I can approve them. I think you can too, since you're set up as an Editor.

Jesse
12-29-2006, 04:40 AM
OK you will see that I have encapsulated your code blocks now as per the tutorial... It's brought to my attention more that there is an issue with our highlighting thing. I'm going to work on it. Basically if you have <br/> as well as a physical line break, it causes double spacing in the code and that's really annoying. It doesn't happen on the forums so I must have implemented the highlighter wrong when I hacked the CMS. I'll look into it now. If I can get around it then this issue (which I run into in Video Tutorial 3) won't be an issue any more.

invader
12-29-2006, 05:35 AM
the old/half tutorial was still up, but wasn't showing up on my authors page.. it was #216 and i just disabled its visibility (but i can still navigate to it with the link i posted above). i think it was indexed because it was approved when i first logged in, before trying to make changes to it.

the new/complete one, #511, is now up and visible on my authors page and the site map page. it is showing up double-spaced in the code blocks, but other than that, everything seems perfectly normal with it. [edit: just fixed the double-spacing after watching tut#3 ;) ]

i'll check out the new tutorial. i watched the first two before work this morning.

thanks jesse!

p.s.
two requests, neither too important:
- preview in site template, rather than unformatted pop-up window. it'll help prevent layout-breaking elements if we can see it in the preview ;)
- drafts? are the only possible states 'pending approval' and 'approved'? and if articles could be set as drafts, perhaps add a way to pull it out of the pending approval queue and back into a draft state if changes are necessary

Jesse
12-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Hmmm.... strange. Oh well.

Re your two questions:
1. Working on it.
2. Pending Approval is just like Draft to me... what would be different between the two?

Jesse
12-29-2006, 06:16 AM
PS - Also, on page 1 you have an image which is 600+ px wide. When you get to the third tutorial you'll hear that our limit is 550 and there's a way to get around it. I've implimented it on page 1.

Basically the trick is that you can have wider content but you need to go to source view and do this:

<div class="codex">WIDE CONTENT HERE</div>

That class is the same class used in code presentation adn gives the wide content it's own scrolling pane so it doesn't break the page layout.

invader
12-29-2006, 07:01 AM
i didn't even think to look at the image sizes, since they were already uploaded and ready to go before my account was even set up. i will definitely keep that in mind for any image i upload in the future

2. Pending Approval is just like Draft to me... what would be different between the two?

that's probably because you're able to "Review Pending Articles".. that option is not a link for me.. the only links i can click are "Manage Articles" and "Create Article"

when i logged in for the first time, my first approved tutorial was visible under "Manage Articles" and when i saved a change -- or whatever i did -- it no longer appeared in that view.. when i created the new/complete copy, it did not appear in "Manage Articles" either. right now, they are both showing up in that section with status "Approved".

on another side note:
i noticed an interesting quirk, when i clicked the "Advanced Search" link under "Manage Articles".. if i clicked Search or Cancel, it would show me a list containing everyone's articles, instead of just my own. of course, the edit links are grayed out on all the ones i did not create, so it's not a big deal.

CyanBlue
12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
@ CB - The Pending Articles count is a total count of articles awaiting approval within the system; i.e. not your own Articles, but everyones. As an Admin I can approve them. I think you can too, since you're set up as an Editor.
That's exactly what I meant, Jesse... If I logged in as an Editor, aren't I supposed to see all five articles which include mine and invader's???

Jesse
12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
That's exactly what I meant, Jesse... If I logged in as an Editor, aren't I supposed to see all five articles which include mine and invader's???

(OMG, how cool is the new quote feature in the latest vBulletin!? I can't believe they didn't have this function before!)

So when you click Review Pending Articles on the right, can you see all the pending articles? By everyone? At the moment there are four....

Jesse
12-29-2006, 11:11 AM
that's probably because you're able to "Review Pending Articles".. that option is not a link for me.. the only links i can click are "Manage Articles" and "Create Article"

Aha! Good point... So your issue is that when you have created and article and "let it go" (per se) for review, you can no longer do anything to it until it is reviewed. That's a good point... I'll raise it with the CMS people but they are on holiday until after the New Year.

Jesse
12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
OK it's a nasty hack, but for the time-being it seems that if you log in, and then go to: http://www.actionscript.org/resources/admin/index.php?ToDo=reviewPendingArticles you can edit your pending articles, and only yours... I wouldnt' recommend we make a habbit of this just yet though. I've raised a request re what's the best way to give you a temporary state.

CyanBlue
12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
(OMG, how cool is the new quote feature in the latest vBulletin!? I can't believe they didn't have this function before!)
Uh... You never knew that before??? :p
OK it's a nasty hack, but for the time-being it seems that if you log in, and then go to: http://www.actionscript.org/resource...endingArticles you can edit your pending articles, and only yours... I wouldnt' recommend we make a habbit of this just yet though. I've raised a request re what's the best way to give you a temporary state.
Yup... That sure is what's happening right now... I only see mine... But if you have set me up an Editor account, wouldn't I supposed to see all the pending articles???

Cota
12-30-2006, 02:21 AM
I click "pending articles" I see nothing at all. But it says there are 5 pending.

Jesse
12-30-2006, 02:23 AM
OK, how about I change some stuff around... Cota, I just changed your account. Does it work now?

Cota
12-30-2006, 03:06 AM
ok cool...it works now.

Jesse
12-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Yeah so I had to give you like uber rights. Which I'm fine with, but it makes very little sense since one of the rights you had before was explicitly "Approve/Dissaporve all articles"... Might be a bug. I'll tell them.

@CB: I've fixed up your account too... check it out.

CyanBlue
12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Yup... I see them all... It sure sounds like a bug to me...

Jesse
01-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Back on the original topic of this post; I've added a button now so that Authors can at least Edit their Pending Articles. So Authors, now if you go to Manage Articles, rather than seeing only approved / disapproved articles, you can click the "See / Edit My Pending Articles" button and see/edit your Pending articles.

Editors you will see this button and the normal Review Pending Articles button. They both do the same thing in your case.