PDA

View Full Version : [Q] Windows XP Search utility???

CyanBlue
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Howdy... :)

I am just curious to know if anybody know of a good search utility that can replace the search that comes with the Windows XP???
I have tried Windows Desktop Search and it just does not cut it... :(

Thanks... :)

thephosphorbox
02-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I hear Google Desktop Search is very good. I haven't used it myself so I can't speak from personal experience :(

CyanBlue
02-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I also heard that Google Desktop Search sends out some information that should be local to my hard drive to the Google so that they can do whatever they want and should be avoided in the work environment... So, I am trying to avoid that one...

thephosphorbox
02-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah I have never had much of a need for desktop search tools so I haven't got anything but word-of-mouth testimonials to go by.

I recently started using a program called Launchy (www.launchy.net (http://www.launchy.net)) thats meant to be used as a keyboard-centric application/document launching app for Windows XP. It does index the contents of whatever directories you tell it to, so it can be used as a sort-of search tool. Type in part of a name of a doc or app and voila, up it comes. I love it :)

CyanBlue
02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Well... That won't work much as a replacement of the Search Companion, but that sure is looking good tool... ;)