PDA

View Full Version : Target External Images???

stompwampa
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey Folks -

I want to build a Flash movie for the radio station I work for. Basically, the night guy does a Top 5 at 9 countdown every night. I want to make it so the movie scrolls through the five artists in the countdown each night...but I don't want to have to remake the movie every day.
How can I make it so all I have to do is replace an external image file with the new one so the Flash movie updates automatically??

Thanks!

Noct
04-09-2007, 06:06 PM
this.createEmptyMovieClip("container", this.getNextHighestDepth());
var movLoad:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
var myListener:Object = new Object();
myListener.onLoadInit = function(thisMc:MovieClip) {
//resizing/placement of the image is done here if needed
};
movLoad.addListener(myListener);
movLoad.loadClip("top5.jpg", this.container);

Then you just overwrite the jpg each time you want it changed. But you would have to reload the web page to see the change of course.

stompwampa
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
so I have to name each image the same thing if there are 5 images, correct? (I.E. 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, 4.jpg, 5.jpg) And whenever I change an image, I have to give it the name of the image to be changed?

Noct
04-10-2007, 02:00 PM
As long as you are pulling your images in at runtime using loadMovie or the lm class, all you would have to do is replace the images on your webserver with new ones every time you wanted a change. You would just use the same names each time, overwrite the images that were on the server, and you would never have to open the fla again.

If you wanted to be able to use any named images you want, you could just store thier names in an external textfile/xml, grab the info from that at runtime, and then just change that text file to show new images.