PDA

View Full Version : Packaging the Player

hotnix
07-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey,
Is it possible (and hopefully really easy) to include the flash player with a movie? So that individuals who don't have the ubiquitous flash player won't have to download it separately.
PS this movie will be sent through email or cd and would not me downloaded over the net (I don't know if that makes a difference)
I'm working with Flash 5.
Thanks

Abelius
07-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Hmmmm... I wouldn't do that. The player is copyrighted, you know... Nothing wrong with having them get the player from their original source... Besides, it's more ubiquitous than 7eleven...

hotnix
07-01-2002, 07:25 PM
I had not thought about copyright issues. I guess what I am looking for is a feature similar to the "Pack and Go" feature in powerpoint. I tried publishing the movie as a html file which worked great on my machine but not so much when I emailed it to others.
Thanks,
hn

DiDi
07-01-2002, 07:51 PM
If you are to distribute your movie on CD, the easiest thing to do is to publish it as an .exe (for PC) or .hqx (for Mac). That way you won't have to worry if the users have Flash Player installed or not. If you are to email it, it may not be good option as it can be interpreted as a virus.

As for copyright for Flash .exes things are not so clear. I looked at macromedia.com for information and they seem to care only about things done with Director and Authorware (you have to put an icon "Made with Macromedia" and other stuff on your work for it to be legal). I may be wrong but I've been reading a lot about it on FlashKit Community forums (specialy Standalone and Applications) and seems that you can do it without fears. There are whole bunch of third party tools which let you enhance your Flash Projector (make it autorun, put your icon instead of Flash's, make it open where and how you want, make it comunicate with a machine it is running on...) and all those tools are legal, they are even mentioned on Macromedia site. So it doesn't seem to damage Macromedia's copyright and is exactly "Pack and Go" you wished for.

hotnix
07-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Publishing as an exe, why didn't I think of that?!?!?
Thanks Ya'll, it works!
hn