PDA

View Full Version : Flash 8 or CS3?

Potemkyn
04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
I've got Flash MX 2004 Pro at home and use Flash 8 Pro at work. I'm looking to upgrade and noticed that Adobe released Flash CS3.

If your funds for your home tinkering were limited, what would you buy?

:confused:

Po~

CyanBlue
04-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Howdy and Welcome... :)

Well... I'd go for CS3 just because if supports AS3 which is whole lot faster than AS2 compiled SWF...

senocular
04-25-2007, 02:50 PM
still... limited funds, and just for tinkering? I'd probably go with 8. There isn't a WHOLE lot you can do with AS3 (now) that you can't do with 8. A lot of the fun stuff is with filters and bitmap manipulation and 8 (AS2) and CS3 (AS3) are pretty much on par there. Sure AS3 will be faster, but its not necessary and people have gotten by this long without the speed.

But I guess if you can afford it, CS3 would be the way to go. It is, afterall, the latest and greatest ; )

Potemkyn
04-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, I'm mainly looking to be able to do some things at home. Our license at work is the group discount type and thus, I can't use the same serial number at home (under the concurrent use paragraph).

Anyway... I might pick up a copy of 8 pro, then turn around next year and get the whole suite with PhotoShop.

Nuts.

Po~

CyanBlue
04-25-2007, 03:53 PM
How eyes can be deceiving... I somehow read 'unlimited'... :(

Potemkyn
04-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Ah well.

Aside from AS3 in Flash CS3, what else is new that you like?

Po~

Flash Gordon
04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm looking to upgrade and noticed that Adobe released Flash CS3.
WOW! I definately haven't been around enough.

senocular
04-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Ah well.

Aside from AS3 in Flash CS3, what else is new that you like?

Po~

I posted this in another forum, so copying and pasting:
"Some features like the enhanced QT export are really cool, and of course you have the interface which is, for the most part, really nice, but can be a real pain when dragging panels around since they want to dock Everywhere! (you will get used to dragging while holding CRTL to prevent that).

For what I do its mostly nice for quick AS3 examples - its a lot quicker to test some AS3 code out in Flash CS3 than in Flex or using the SDK. Though the editor is not as feature rich as the one in Flex, you can be a lot more loose in your code, not requiring access attributes (everything is inherently public on the timeline) and all your class/package structure is handled automatically behind the scenes. Of course this convenience only works well for small projects. Larger projects would be better off making use of external classes.

The new pen is pretty cool, and you no longer get extra nodes added to shapes after you rotate them or transform them (always bothered me before). You also have Auto Shape like Rectangle and Oval primitives which are nice. But I guess sometimes they can get in the way (and I haven't found myself needing them much).

You also have PS and AI integration which, though pretty cool, really doesn't affect me much. It is something a lot of people are liking, though (and rightly so as it does wonders for a lot of common workflows). Device central is also neat, but again, not for me as I don't develop for mobile.

All in all its not bad. I guess the big feature this time around is the AS3 stuff, and probably the PS/AI integration. The new interface is also nice but I never see UI updates as a real feature. Looking back to Flash 5, has it really changed all that much? "

CyanBlue
04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't care about anything else... I want the better IDE... Oh well... :( :p

spriggan
04-30-2007, 09:02 PM
As someone who skipped Flash 8 I'm eargly awaiting picking up CS3 tomorrow, I don't do as much with Flash as I use to but it's still something fun to play around with.

Potemkyn
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
That's some good input there, senocular. Appreciate your time in providing that.

Now, for the rest of ye, what do you NOT like about CS3?

As of r purchasing, I'm looking at the CS3 Web Deluxe package, though, I might have to settle with the Standard. Either way, I'll use the Upgrade package. Anybody seen any problems with that?

Po~

spriggan
05-01-2007, 07:28 PM
The upgrade packages are a good deal, but the question you need to ask is do you need photoshop? If so then get the premium package if no then don't. Acrobat Pro is crap so unless you have to have it (and I don't think any sane person would) don't base your desicsion off of it.

As for bad things about CS3, outside of Action Script 3 I really don't think there's enough of a difference between 8 and CS3 to justify the upgrade. Just some interface upgrades and some changes on how the drawing tools work, if there's more then that then Adobe has done a poor job marketing Flash CS3 because those 3 changes are all people mention. But I always tend to skip a generation, I'm still using MX 2004 because there wasn't enough to justify the upgrade for me.

Don't just get it because it's new, if that's the only reason then I'd wait a month or two to see if you still want to get it.

Potemkyn
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
I currently have a copy of MX 2004 Studio and really only use Flash and a bit of Fireworks. Heck, my kids use it more than I do!

The one thing I do like about Studio 8 over MX 2004 is Dreamweaver, it doesn't take quite as long to load - but I think that's because it doesn't load all the projects/pages you had open previously.

Po~

spriggan
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I use dreamweaver just because I have it, it's pretty much a glorified text editor to me since I don't use the WYSIWUG aspect of it so I use filezilla and notepad++ a lot when I'm not at home and might just stop using DW all togethor at home (it's been fairly instable since I changed processors a week ago and it's FTP client is realy slow).

Not a fan of fireworks, never saw the point of it but I had a roomate many moons ago that used it quite often.

Again the nice thing with the update package is if you do use those programs you're getting them for a really..really good price based off of buying each new which is what you'd have to do if all you wanted was flash (which is $600 I believe standalone).

CyanBlue
05-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Look who's back... spriggan... Don't forget to stop by more often... :)

myth
05-08-2007, 06:17 AM
CS3 - two (2) words: Pen Tool!

Potemkyn
05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
You know, I just never got the hang of the pen tool.

Has Adobe already loaded the trail version of CS3 of Flash?

Po~

alflashy
05-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Just bought CS3 Web premium package (upgrade from 2004 Pro).
Found some issues

1- Slow down my machine which is Pentium 4- 1.5 GHZ processor , 1 GB RAM
Even few time crashed. Never done that before.

2- I was not able to install it on my laptop as it just has less then 1GB ram. CS3 refused to install.

3- if you are using MX studio or 2004 MX studio then you can't get just flash CS3 and upgrade it. You have to buy the package to upgrade your studio version.

4-Interface is good looking but not convenient if you don't have dual monitor(Dragging windows is pain). May get use to it.

5- Phone support from Adobe has 30- 45 minutes hold time.

But not sure may be its just me.

Potemkyn
05-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Ouch! Thanks for the tips. My upgrade is now on hold! I was planning on getting the studio upgrade since I do use Dreamweaver and Firework (occasionally...).

Thanks for the notes. Anybody else experience something similar?

Po~

cmbarsotti
05-10-2007, 04:52 PM
We had to uninstall Flash 9 from a machine at work, too slow. Dragging the timeline scrubber took a ton of processor! The guy couldn't get anything done, he went home to use Flash 8. He has a new machine maxed out with processor and memory and also had trouble with Photoshop.

I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder (I got the CS version that includes video editing and I guess it's not available yet. - that's another issue, why can't I install what is available and wait for what's not available?)

He's on Windows Vista
I'm on Windows XP

Our Mac developer loves Flash 9 only because of the panel groups but that's not new to Windows users (I didn't know Macs Flash 8 didn't have panel grouping?) - She doesn't script so had no comment about AS3.

Potemkyn
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
:o

Well, that's very interesting. I've only got a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with HT, 1GB RAM (which is the max on this box) running on XP Profession with SP2, so I'm not liking this news.

Thank you for your inputs!

Po~

cmbarsotti
05-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Someone (I think it was this thread) mentioned skipping generations of software. I've always done that with Director, I'm starting to think that Flash is getting to that point.

Potemkyn
05-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Well, sometimes that works. Unfortunately, some of the files are not backwards compatible. I've used Director and have MX 2004 - when I was going through a class, I noticed that Director went through some big changes with 8.5 - we didn't cover those, but I wondered if that was a point where it wasn't backward compatible.

Flash 8 allows you to save in either MX 2004 or version 8 - what does CS3 allow?

Po~

alflashy
05-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Flash8 and C3

Potemkyn
07-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Looks like the folks at work are interested in hearing the advantages of Flash CS3. We just upgraded to Flash 8, the only thing I have come across is the ability to get the frame label (or so I've some across this on the web...). The pen tool (while handy) is not something we use often :( Any other opinions?

For the company, cost is not a factor, testing/approving/installing the new version are the factors. :o

Po~

atomic
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=140494