PDA

View Full Version : Best tools for development

User1234
05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm a newbie. Just bought Flash CS3 and am interested in jumping in to actionscript 3.0. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out whether I need any more software?

I'm interested in writing AS for developing interactive/dynamic animation & integrating some XML type stuff. I want to really learn about the AS language - not just find pre-fab or canned solutions all the time, and then pull my hair out trying to figure out how to customize things. With that in mind, I'm looking for the kind of setup that's best for learning.

I purchased the book ActionScript 3.0 Animation - Making Things Move, and would like to follow along. In this book Keith Peters (author) mentions leaving the timeline behind and using the free Flex 2 SDK.

Can anyone tell me what the free Flex SDK will actually do andvwhy it's recommended?

Thanks very much in advance...

Drew1974
05-22-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm answering my own post - signed up as user1234 b/c I couldn't log in as this name - anyway, I found this site which talks a bit about running the Flex 2 SDK through the command line, and also addresses just using the built editor in Flash:

http://www.senocular.com/

Hope this is helpful...