PDA

View Full Version : How to "cheat" Flash Player?

jfbaro
06-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi,

We are having problems with Flash UI on embedded devices, so now we are caching EVERYTHING we can when the application loads. It loads once a day (that's is not a problem for our solution).

The problem is we have a heavy load, which takes about 4min (<10s on a ordinary Desktop) in the tiny device. We have 128MB (lots!!) but we don't have CPU power...anyway. What we really need to know is how to supress that message Flash Player shows when the script is taking to long to run. Is that possible?

Thanks

CyanBlue
06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately, nope...
(Doesn't that sound familiar???)

Maybe it has to do with how you are loading the data if you think the problem occurs only because you are trying to load 128MB of data into the SWF... Maybe you could make that into smaller chunks and load them one after another??? Not sure how well that will work on a device that do not have much CPU power...

jfbaro
06-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey CianBlue,

You are so bad...LOL!!!

Ok, good to know the answer that quick, though.
That will save me some time googling.

Cheers

CyanBlue
06-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Well... Keep us posted on what's going on... :)

Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the device you are developing for??? Can you provide the URL where I can know more details about it???

jfbaro
06-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi CyanBlue,

Alright... I'll do that then. ;)

Sorry, I can't give you much detail about the device. I am not allowed to :(!

But there is a company here in the UK which is building them for us. They mount their own board, the enclosure and the touchscreen panel..they are pretty good on that! The CPU is a pretty standard, ARM XScale about 400mhz, but its lack of FPU is affecting hugelly the performance of Flash Player.

Thanks

CyanBlue
06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Ah... That's not something I can just go and buy then... Gotcha... ;)

jfbaro
06-22-2007, 03:32 PM
That's right!

I also don't think that would be a nice gadget to put in your pocket...lol!! :)

Thanks