PDA

View Full Version : Stop using cache

TomMalufe
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
OK, here is my issue.
When I'm testing a flash movie that calls an external script it will cache the return value and use that every time, even after I change the external script.

The specific case when this started to bug me was on a project were my Flash Movie calls a PHP file to find something out. But the PHP file had errors, so I fixed them, uploaded the fixed file and I was still getting errors. It took me a while to realize that I had to restart Flash CS3 in order to test the new script I just uploaded because it had cached the old script and wasn't actually checking to see if it had changed.

I like the fact that Flash uses caching because it makes for some quick web pages, but I want to disable it sometimes while I'm still debugging everything. Does anyone know how to do that? Even if it's just in CS3 itself and not on the web, I would be happy.

angels.of.promise
06-25-2007, 10:02 PM
i dont know how to do this. however if you are useing firefox you can set it to delete the cache every time you close the program. wich means when it reopens it will be forced to reload everything.

you can do this in the tools>options>privacy_tab>always clars privae data check box

i hope this helps.

TomMalufe
06-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah I did that for a while for one gallery project, but I really want to do it in flash. I see very few reasons to use the cache when I'm still in the debugging stages and a couple good reasons not to.

dr_zeus
06-27-2007, 06:28 PM
There's a generally accepted method for bypassing the browser cache (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=137215).

TomMalufe
06-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks. I don't see that thread.