PDA

View Full Version : screen size

michaelsillitoe
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
ok i know that we can do full screen sites using the stage width properties . but in terms of designing a site if you want to have very large images you still have to work to a size which most people can view.

Most of the full screen sites I have seen have background images that does not scale, they simply moves around with the centre of the movie.
Your screen size actually becomes a mask of the background image.

sigarett is a good example

If you use the stage width to scale a jpeg based on the screen size the image quality is vastly reduced.

Generally what size screen do you guys rekon we should be designing for? If an image need to be viewed in its entirety what is the maximum dimension it can be in your opinion.
My brothers girlfriend has a dell. her explorer has so many taskbar add ons her screen can't be bigger than 300 x 400 ... I am not joking.

What do you rekon?

Cota
07-23-2007, 01:30 AM
It really depends on the project at hand. Generally I design for 1024x768 (1000x680 viewable area, roughly). But I also consider larger resolutions when designing. I'm a fan of the 100%x100% flash file. The background is designed for 1600x1200 with the content changing position based on browser size, etc. But everyone has different methods, just have to find the one that works for you.

michaelsillitoe
07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
yeh I can see what you mean.
I always do my sites 100 percent by 100 percent
It just makes it a bit tricky to deal with people who say have widescreen monitors.
I guess you just have to limit them to a core percentage and deal with the others as best as you can.

Though the size of site you are suggesting is a good base for it.
Thanks for the advice