PDA

View Full Version : ms access with flash front end

TheEgo
08-09-2002, 11:54 AM
I have an ms access database with a load of data in it.

I need to create a flash front end for it, to search the db and show the results.

I need to know the best was about solving this problem, i can change the db to another style/format if needed. And the front end doesnt necesarily have to be in flash.

The only thing is i can't use a server side script language to talk between the 2, as it's going on a local machine, not a server.

So basically i need a simple to use front end that can search and write too a database, that will work without server side scripts.

Any suggestions on a direction to attack this from would be great. Online tutorials pratical examples would be gold.

i will try any approach, so give plenty of details if you can

i have faith.
thanks alot
didier

tg
08-09-2002, 04:09 PM
flash still cannot connect to a db without the use of server side scripts. if your machine is winnt,win2k or winxp you can use serverside scripts and run it all in localhost on personal web server.

TheEgo
08-09-2002, 06:36 PM
i think the computer it will run all will be a windows of some sort.

Anyway what server side scripting do you recommed or think i should use.

Any links to tutorials or pratical examples would help alot.

thanks
Didier

tg
08-10-2002, 05:15 AM
asp is built into iis (personal web server)- thus free.
php is pretty easy to download and install (i think, havn't done it) - and free.
cold fusion you can download the developers version (from macromedia) - i think the trial downloads as trial, and after expiration, you can run it on your development machine using the development license (thus free).

resources:
tons of asp sites to help you out. plus 5-6 folks here who seem to know their stuff and are willing to help out and answer questions.

tons of php sites with great forums. plus a load of folks here who seem to know their stuff and are willing to help out and answer questions (dejavu).

not too many good communitee sites for coldfusion, but there are a couple folks here who help out along those lines.

take your pick.
personally i prefer asp (altho i use coldfusion at work). i'm almost positive someone will come along after me and tell ya that php is the only way to go...
you pick.

hangalot
09-04-2002, 02:04 AM
i posted a reply to u'r prob
@ here (http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=15303)

one thing i forgot to mention there is u can always use port based communication - using the winsock control (i don't know if it is availible in VBA) - i haven't quite got it going both ways yet, but haven't dabbled with it for ages!

Mattarm
09-05-2002, 02:54 AM
Try this tool:
http://www.multidmedia.com/

Been meaning to look at this myself but havent got there yet.