PDA

View Full Version : loading movie technique

mase1361
04-05-2001, 09:23 PM
I'm presently in the midst of developing a website, and i have the background and main navigation load on Level 0 with the home page content load in Level 1...as the user navigates to other sections of the website, i'm using the Load Movie and Unload movie commands to change the movies being displayed in Level 1....the problem is that the sections themselves are getting large....for example one of the sections is presently at 152K (155,177 bytes), and its still not complete....

is there a way i can preload movies before i load them into level...for example....while the home page preloads and runs...can i have Section 1.swf preloading even though it hasn't been loaded into level 1?

the subdivisions of the major sections of the website are scenes within the major section's movie...do i need to further break out these subdivisions into movies as well...to reduce the amount of time a user is forced to wait for preloading?

-clueless....

mgb
04-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Welcome to actionscripts.

You can put a blank keyframe with a stop action at the start of each swf and load them onto different levels and when you need them to play use;
_levelx.gotoAndPlay2 - levelx being whatever level the movie is on. This way they will load in the background without being seen until the user presses a button.

~mgb

mase1361
04-06-2001, 03:48 PM
thanks for the welcome and tip....this will help alot...

-mase