PDA

View Full Version : Animation performance issues

phillyj8
10-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm having an issue with the performance of certain parts of the site I'm building. These are a few things I've noticed about it - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

The site works fine if I open the swf directly (either though "Test Movie" or just by opening it directly in the browser). All the animation is perfectly smooth.

As soon as I embed it in an HTML file and open it, the animation gets choppy. Especially if I'm scrolling images along with dynamic textfields. Its not really that choppy, but its not nearly as nice as it is when opening the swf directly.

So I'm wondering why it is that opening the swf on its own would give different performance than opening it in an HTML file. And is there a way to stop it from losing performance when putting it in HTML, or is it just that I need to optimize all my code?

dr_zeus
10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Browsers are known to limit the amount of CPU time that Flash Player is allowed. The standalone player is not limited, so SWFs running in it will generally run faster than in the browser.

Sekhar
10-16-2007, 05:09 PM
There may be quality/scaling issues. Check the publish settings - make sure Quality is High and Scale is No Scale.

phillyj8
10-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Wow, thank you Sekhar. I did have Quality at High and Scale at No Scale, but I found that I also had Window Mode set to Transparent! I think I had set that for another project and completely forgot to set it back. Apparently, that will drop your performance. Changed it to Window and all is well.