PDA

View Full Version : game as preloader

grimm
08-16-2002, 01:27 PM
I was wondering if as a preloader i could have a simple game like the old atari Pong? while you waited. I saw this on a Ps2 game (test drive) it's relly cool. I have no clue as to the coding or any type of game like movie's all help is apperciated.

vosgien
08-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Hi,
I saw a similar thing myself ( can't for the life of me remember where), it was very uncomplicated, just one bat worked with the mouse and one ball, kept me occupied through the download.
You can find source code for ping pong here (http://www.actionscripts.org/showMovie.php?id=472) which is the movies section for this site, this game uses the arrow keys to manipulate two bats, but I don't think you'll have to much trouble adapting it for your needs

Hope that helps

Vosgien

grimm
08-20-2002, 02:07 PM
vosgien...
I wasn't able to open that fla file. Was it made in MX? I only have 5 sorry....

vosgien
08-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi,
Yeah that is in MX, if you go here (http://www.flashkit.com/search.php?cat=movies&field=Description&per=10&page=1&term=pong) which is the games section of the movies section of Flashkit, there are two versions there that might help you, if they are not any good drop me a mail here ([email protected]) and I'll send one on to you that has been sitting on my hard drive for a while, can't find it right now, but if you're really stuck will have a good look later

Cheers

Vosgien

grimm
08-21-2002, 03:18 PM
hey thanks again everything worked great... very easy to manipulate. I want to try and get it to be against a computer type apponent but don't know that much scripting to make it still beable to be beat every once in a while, but check it out...

www.critkit.com (http://www.critkit.com)

thanks again

vosgien
08-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Hiu,
Glad it all worked for you, like the idea and liked your site very much. Would recommend that you have a skip button for those that don't want to play ! Just an idea

Vosgien

grimm
08-21-2002, 08:04 PM
not a bad idea... I will add that, (funny i didn't htink about the folks that have other than dial-up) doh!

i don't know how to alter the code so it dosen't jump to dragging the paddle?

Ricod
08-22-2002, 07:37 AM
:) Nowadays its usually the other way around : people ignore the 56k-ers ...

I like the idea of having something to do when there's loading going on ! Usually, all you can do is sit there and either watch that boring bar fill up or do something else (usually a short game of patience or sumthing like that ;) )

grimm
08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
thanks I actually got the idea from a PS2 game. I always hate waiting for the the thing to load cause it's never enough time to do anyting nor is it short enough to not get frustrated...
thanks for the comments

gwd
08-22-2002, 02:50 PM
It should be a preloader. It's not, because I can't see the when the flash is done with loading!!

But I like the idea.

grimm
08-22-2002, 03:06 PM
Yea I'm not to good with actionscripting and the game was not created by me. I'm trying to incorporate the loading bar into it, so you can see when you can move on, also I want to have the skip button or a go to site button appear when the site is loaded. i'm not sure how to do that with out interupting the game? I can post the games code if that would help anyone...

vosgien
08-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi,
You could try reducing the screen size of the game by about a third and then if you want all the other bits they could go on the left side or the bottom, with the skip button you need to check that the movie is loaded before it moves on, and if not have a message telling the user that the movie is still loading and (perhaps) inviting them to play.
Something like
if(framesLoaded==totalFrames){
gotoAndPlay (firstframe in moviie)
} else if(framesLoaded<totalFrames)
textbox = " whatever message you wanna give";
}
}
Course, you would need to address it properly with_root etc etc, but if you have done the basic preloader tute it won't prove that difficult for you.
Also, when framesLoaded==totalFrames, you could end the game and invite the user to enter using the same text box

Cheers

Vosgien

grimm
08-22-2002, 08:29 PM
the problem is that the first frame loads the variables for the game (the paddle and ball) then it goes right to a drag command. Which i'm not sure how to alter so you can drag off the paddle and hit any button? adding the actual pre-loader part with the moving bar isn't that hard just getting the parameters of the drag command and allowing the user to jump off the game to skip it. Although if a message/button comes up stating the site was loaded then i wouldn't need to figure out the parameters correct?

Ricod
08-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Why not have a button with the message 'press space to skip' and a :
on (keypress <space>) {
gotoAndPlay ("startOfMyActualSite");
//its VERY early so syntax is prob incorrect
}
:) no clicking involved then !

BEANZ
08-24-2002, 10:37 AM
yeah do what Ricod said, thats a good idea. and increase that frame rate or die! coz its very slow :p