PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? FLV files won't progressively download.

xMetal
10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
OK, this is really stumping me. I've done a lot with Flash for a lot of years, and have done a bunch of video with it, but the latest batch of things I'm trying to get online as FLV just refuse to progressively download. They are short video clips, and I've tried processing them with the following:

- Flash CS3
- Flash CS3 video encoder
- Flash 8 video encoder
- Sorenson Squeeze 4.3

All result in the same thing. The FLV Playback component comes up, gives the barber-pole loading bar and when the video file has completely loaded, it starts to play. It does not "stream" in at all, just blank screen until it's fully loaded.

I've tried putting the files on different servers (thinking IIS vs Apache might do something) but that made no difference. The videos all play, ultimately, but they just won't stream in. I've done other videos with all the same tools and they worked fine. I've looked at the FLV metadata and it's got a duration/framerate/videorate/etc.

What subtle things can screw up this process? I really need this to work asap for a very public project, and this has me stumped.

xMetal
10-23-2007, 03:31 PM
so apparently no one else has seen this issue. I've been testing this further, trying everything I can think of and nothing made a difference, EXCEPT for when I took one of my short videos, did a copy-paste in Quicktime Pro to make it go from being about 20 seconds long to 3 minutes, adn that one worked fine. All settings were the same otherwise, from the same source.

So why is it dying on a short clip, but the SAME CLIP just duplicated a few times worked as it should!?

I've looked at the metadata and notice small discrepancies (like setting the encoder to be 15fps, but have the file end up at 15.06, which gives slightly different durations).

lheathmc
01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I am having the same issue. I figured out that it has to do with the file size. I have the same video at 6mb, 9mb, and 10mb. The 10mb flv file progressively downloads as it should, but the 6 and 9 behave just as you described. I haven't yet found a solution. You can see my samples at...

http://www.hmstudios.com/3point5/flv6mb.html
http://www.hmstudios.com/3point5/flv9mb.html
http://www.hmstudios.com/3point5/flv10mb.html

CyanBlue
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Howdy and Welcome... :)

I've checked those 3 links and I was able to see the video starting before the loading bar reaches 100% which tells me that those are playing progressively as it should be... Maybe I am missing something here???

lheathmc
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Maybe it has something to do with my works internet. I've checked it on several machines, both mac and pc here at work. I'll try it tonight from home. I don't know why the internet would be an issue, but I've tried everything else I can think of.

tsj4
01-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Same here, they play while downloading which verifies that they are progressively downloading.

lheathmc
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
After reading your posts I tried the links at home and they worked fine so either my works network or internet is causing the problem. Good to know. Thanks for your responses.

CyanBlue
01-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Glad to help... ;)

keano
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
On the large 10mb example. It shows bar progressing but plays and then stops because not enough data is downloaded. what I like about QT is that it won't play until it has sufficient data downloaded to play fully.