PDA

View Full Version : Making a custom scrollbar with ActionScript 3.0

fayevictus1
11-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey all,
I am trying to learn how to make my own custom scrollbar, but I am running into a delema. Started learning flash with CS3 so the tutorials I have gone through have used actionscript 3.0, i.e linking to buttons to different keyframes. When I have searched for tutorials on line I have found a few really good ones, but I'm pretty sure that they are using actionscript 2.0. So my problem is i have to either re learn how to link buttons to keyframes in 2.0 or find a tutorial on custom scrollbars that uses actionscript 3.0. I think ideally i need to just purchase the Actionscript 3.0 bible and learn it so I actually understand the language and could just figure it out on my own. Thats another question. Do I learn 2.0 or 3.0? Anyway, here is the link to the tutorial I found...

http://www.oman3d.com/tutorials/flash/video/customscrollbar.php

If someone could just post a project file with an example that would be pretty cool too!!

Thanks,

Brett

rokket
11-06-2007, 08:21 AM
If you are working in Flash CS3 it is really easy to customize the "components". I dont know if you are familliar with working with components, but it is pretty quick to learn and there is good help in the Flash CS3 help menu.

This is how you do it:
1. Grab a scrollbar-component from the Components window.
2. Dubble-click the component on the stage.
3. Now you will be able to costumize the apperance of your scrollbar and so create a uniqe one for your project.

This is on quick solution that might work well (i dont know the demands of your project, but it might be worth a try).

Good Luck!

rokket
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
The question witch language you sould learn, i would learn AS3, because it is newer and has a future.

I program in both, but today i prefer AS3.

Alexus
11-07-2007, 09:18 AM
You just need to learn some programming and event handling skills. Once you get it you will be able to code anything you want.
For example, this slider (http://flashmenulabs.com/examples_mac_hor_slider.htm) was programmed without any key frames, only actionscript.
I don't want to say that keyframe animation shouldn't be used. I just want to say that actinscript often gives you more flexibility.