PDA

View Full Version : When would you use Video, VideoPlayer, FLVPlayback?

matbury
11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi,

I've been looking through the AS 3.0 docs and I've come across 3 classes (or 3 levels of classes, because the subclass each other) for publishing video. There's:

Video
VideoPlayer
and FLVPlayback

I pretty familiar with using video in AS 2.0 and I'm wondering when you'd use the Video and VideoPlayer classes to show video. I've already successfully implemented them and deployed them on a server. I also use After Effects to produce video with alpha transparency.

So my basic question is, what's the difference between Video and VideoPlayer?

and under which circumstances would you recommend using one or the other?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Flash Gordon
11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Use only the functionality that you need as a rule eg. Sprite over MovieClip.

I think the difference are some of those are ment to be used with components.

panel
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
video is base class used when you want to cerate own class to play videos (combining with netConnection & netStream)
FLVPlayback is just flash component used to play videos
Video Player is smalles version of flv playback
The VideoPlayer class lets you create a video player with a slightly smaller SWF file than if you used the FLVPlayback component. Unlike the FLVPlayback component, the VideoPlayer class does not let you include a skin or playback controls, and although you cannot find or seek to cue points, the cuePoint events will occur. The FLVPlayback class wraps the VideoPlayer class.
Use the FLVPlayback class in almost all cases because there is no functionality in the VideoPlayer class that cannot be accessed using the FLVPlayback class.