PDA

View Full Version : Using Flash Buttons in Dreamweaver???

sudzy
04-10-2001, 03:54 AM
Hi Jesse,

I was wondering something along these lines.. Maybe you have the answer! (*i hope*)

I built a site in flash...
I am now trying to convert it to Dreamweaver.

Is it possible for me to use all the buttons I created in flash for my DW nav?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,
sudzy

loydthefarmer
04-10-2001, 04:42 AM
Yes you can use your flash buttons in Dreamweaver! Hurrah! But, there are some problems. First of all, you should put the buttons in a seprate frame so they dont keep reloading. Have the getUrl function load the HTML file into a septrate frame. If your willing to go the frame rout then this is an ideal solution.

What you have to do:

1. Either publish your buttons as seprate .swf files or as one .swf file in a nav-bar-type configuration. Remeber that the movie setting must resonably match the size of the thing so that you dont have huge empty spaces or (if smaller) not all the buttons are vissble (no auto scroll bars you have to do that yourself)
2. Fire up dreamweaver and click on the embed flash button in the toolbar.
3. choose the relavent .swf file to embed.
4. Make sure each button has the correct get url function and referances the correct frame (by default it will target the frame it sits in.)in flash.
5. Test that puppy!

I hope this has been some help... you should warn your viewers that there is flash in the nav. and possibly include a streight HTML version.

PS: I hate frames for a veriaty of reasons but this seem to be the best method to include flash nav. in a static page.

sudzy
04-10-2001, 06:15 AM
Thanks loydthefarmer, I really appreciate your feedback.

So, I tried saving my buttons in the nav-bar-type configuration.

Then I embedded it.

But it just shows up as the grey placeholder and when I preview it in the DW browser (F12) it doesn't show up.

I tried a simple animated MC and it plays just fine.

I'm at a loss. Perhaps my problem lies in the get URL?

Any ideas what I might be missing???

Thanks Again Everyone!
sudzy

sudzy
04-10-2001, 06:39 AM
Just a thought, does it matter where I set the getURL? Or am I completely lost?

Help! Thanks a Million,
sudzy

skinzz
04-10-2001, 07:28 AM
Do you have all your files in the same folder on your harddrive?

sudzy
04-11-2001, 12:22 AM
Oh I'm getting excited! (btw, the files are together. thx)

I made a sample single button swf used the getURL (setting it in Flash) and it WORKS!!!

but (isn't there just always a "but") I'm using Frames in DW. So, I placed the button.swf in the left nav frame and when I click it the content of course shows up in the left nav frame (duh me!). I would like it to show up in the frame entitled Main.

I think I saw the syntax: on (release) {
getURL ("aboutUs.html", main);
}

Or something like that. But (here I go again) that isn't working either(neither does "main.html"). Does anyone see my mistake?

I'd love your corrective criticism.

Take Care,
sudzy

Strok
04-11-2001, 12:44 AM
on (release) {
getURL ("aboutUs.html", main);
}

Syntax is fine
Just make sure you have a right frame name and "aboutUs.html" located in the same DIR

sudzy
04-11-2001, 12:56 AM
Strok thanks, I appreciate your help.

but like I said I double checked that the DW file, the button.swf, aboutUs.html and the main.htm were all in the same folder and they are.

I also checked my button AS it looks just like yours.

Is there something else I could be overlooking? It keeps loading in the DW frame I have named nav. arrgggh.

TIA
sudzy

Strok
04-11-2001, 01:00 AM
Maybe you can give me the link ?

sudzy
04-11-2001, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the offer, that would be great.

Unfortunately, I'm working locally. I don't have it up anywhere yet.

Or is there a way I could do that?

Thanks Again,
sudzy

Strok
04-11-2001, 01:27 AM
If you have a yahoo email accout, you can use your free webspace on geocities.com