PDA

View Full Version : I kinda chuckle

xwielder
01-24-2008, 06:40 PM
It never fails... I always give half of a smirk and a silent chuckle when I go to http://www.actionscript.org/forums/ and see:

ActionScript 3.0 (53 Viewing)
ActionScript 2.0 (158 Viewing)

How long has AS3 been out? To me, it solidifies the fact that people don't like change.
But what I find even more amusing is:

ActionScript 1.0 (and below) (81 Viewing)

... wow.

CyanBlue
01-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Well... Some of those people are not allowed to make any changes on what they do for whatever reason they might be... For me, it mostly goes with my lazyness but some other people might have whole lot better and valid reasons... ;)

Oh, one thing I can tell you is that at least 1/2 of those numbers are spiders not human...

ASWC
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
For me it's not a question to change. AS3 is better no doubt, but I won't use it for at least a few month because I want as much people as possible to see my work. Right now, how many people have FP9 on their computer? yes I know about 99% according to Adobe. But create a FP9 swf and send it to 30 people you know (not in the coding business) and see how many would say " I didn't see anything". So AS3 will take over but for everybody to jump on it we will need FP9 to be for real on about 99% of the computers.

rrh
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I do some work for government agencies that want everything viewable in player 7.

drexle
01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Right now, even though I am using CS3 I still have yet to do a project in AS3. There's been very little motivation to reinvent all the wheels around here just for the sake of novelty. Have I been studying AS3 in my sprea time? Of course. Using it? That's another story.

Cota
01-25-2008, 01:14 AM
I didnt want to make the move to AS3 either, but when I was finally forced too...oh my god, its friggin great. Everything is so much better. XML support is amazing.

As for Flash Player 7, tell you boss to look at the latest number, FP9 is everywhere. Last time I checked it was over 88%

newblack
01-25-2008, 04:00 AM
i definitely expected it to be digested a little faster than it has, but it's understandable i suppose. what gets me is the n00bz who don't know ActionScript from a hooker, posting broken onClipEvent snippets: I don't comprehend coming at it with no experience and taking up AS1- I guess it's the legacy of 7 years of tutorials...

xwielder
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I do some work for government agencies that want everything viewable in player 7.

I'm employed by the Federal Government. All of our agencies and offices absolutely require FP9.

...There's been very little motivation to reinvent all the wheels around here just for the sake of novelty...

If that's what you think AS3 is, just a re-invention of the same-'ol wheel, you know nothing of AS3. Delv into it a bit and you'll whistle a different toon.

...what gets me is the n00bz who don't know ActionScript from a hooker, ...

Interesting... :p :cool:

CyanBlue
01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm employed by the Federal Government. All of our agencies and offices absolutely require FP9.
I am mainly working for the army and the projects that I am currently working on are started at least several years ago where the requirement document says that the product should run on Flash Player 7... and I don't see a way to make them move to higher version of Flash Player for those projects...
However, the newer projects that I have reviewed do have FP9 stated... I am pretty sure it will work the same path since most of the projects take several years of production time and there always will be a newer version of FPs... :(

xwielder
01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
I am mainly working for the army and the projects that I am currently working on are started at least several years ago where the requirement document says that the product should run on Flash Player 7...
However, the newer projects that I have reviewed do have FP9 stated...

Yes, all projects I work on are ones I am creating presently. I have not been asked to work on older projects but I would imagine if I were to do so, they would require older AS/FP.

Noct
01-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, just to further what CyanBlue is saying, I'm not "allowed" to use AS3 either and it has nothing to do with Flash Player support. Our entire dev team uses CS3 and FP9 on our PCs and our user requirements for the software state that they need FP9, but we still use AS2. The reason being that the corporation already has 3 years of templates, applications and best practices built around AS2.

They have no need to upgrade, everything is working (and selling) fine as is. For one of us to use AS3, all of us would have to learn it, and you don't fix what ain't broke, especially if it means re-training your entire staff.

Personally, I have night sweats that I don't know it yet just because this job isn't going to last forever and I don't want to obsolete myself in the process, but why would I focus on learning AS3 right now when I get more and more accolades from my bosses as my AS2 scripting improves?

While I'm sure some things I do would be easier using AS3 (XML for instance), unless something is going to be faster or better produced using it, my corporation is never going to switch over.

CyanBlue
01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Um... Is AS3 available in FMX 2004??? Gosh... Will we ever upgrade??? :confused: :mad:

ASWC
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Anyway, the question is not IF we'll use AS3, but WHEN.

xwielder
01-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Anyway, the question is not IF we'll use AS3, but WHEN.

Well said.

Colin Campbell
01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Flash Player 9 has reached 95% adoption, which is fantastic given the timeframe in my opinion. Web video is definitely driving a lot of these downloads...

Speaking from my personal experience, it's not so much a desire to reach as great a population as possible (given FP9's adoption rates) it more has to do with development costs. There simply aren't enough AS3 developers going around to get projects done on time and on budget. I've been involved in 2 projects over the past 2 months that would have been done in AS3 had management thought they could get efficient AS3 developers in time.

And then there's online advertising, which is still stuck on Flash Player 6. *hits head*

hangalot
01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Flash Player 9 has reached 95% adoption, which is fantastic given the timeframe in my opinion. Web video is definitely driving a lot of these downloads...
auto update feature in the player perhaps :)

Speaking from my personal experience, it's not so much a desire to reach as great a population as possible (given FP9's adoption rates) it more has to do with development costs. There simply aren't enough AS3 developers going around to get projects done on time and on budget. I've been involved in 2 projects over the past 2 months that would have been done in AS3 had management thought they could get efficient AS3 developers in time.

skills are expensive at the moment :(

Colin Campbell
01-25-2008, 07:37 PM
skills are expensive at the moment :(

Good for us, bad for them. ;) I'm guessing in the next year or two, AS3 will be more heavily adopted by the slow corporation types as the AS2 developers already on board shift over to AS3. It's really only companies looking to develop specifically in AS3 that are going out on the market looking for developers with those specific skills right now. And unfortunately for them, what they find are the best developers (which, I would think, have already learned AS3 due to better capabilities and OOP coding) are charging the highest prices.

hangalot
01-25-2008, 07:40 PM
shortage of skills is def a problem the industry is facing

drexle
01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
If that's what you think AS3 is, just a re-invention of the same-'ol wheel, you know nothing of AS3. Delv into it a bit and you'll whistle a different toon.

It's not so much a matter of what I think. See Noct's response as to why he isn't using AS3, it applies to my employer as well. It's not something this place is in a hurry to adopt and until it is, I really have no place to implement it as I'm a bit too overwhelmed to take on other projects on the side (or even work on my own).

hangalot
01-25-2008, 09:20 PM
doing work on the side is something i gave up ages ago. most work done after hours ends unhappily, if you do stuff after hours explore around your own ideas and learn something.

Cota
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
In my office the thought process is "Use the newest stuff". We had no choice but to convert to AS3, our boss demanded it. Mention AS2 in my office and you'll get the look of death. I will say this, since I've moved over to AS3, my development time has been cut down a lot, which is odd..