PDA

View Full Version : Flash and Flex Builder Intergration

Flash Gordon
02-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Hey Gang,

I've done a big project in Flash already using the Flash IDE. However, I've installed Flex Builder 3 and I'd like to use it as an Actionscript editor, but I'd like to have all the nice code hinting and such. How do I get that without having to rebuild my entire project with the folder structure that Flex wants?

Cheers
:)

hangalot
02-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi FG you should not say folder structure that flex wants :) you want to have the FB ide pick up your code and compile it. so.

two approaches: (back to me and that fecking debugger i love so much.)
1. you can have all your code as external classes link to movies and any movies you place on the stage declared in your classes. (for as2 i published a jsfl script that builds the class shell - will need rework but it could still work for as3)
then you copmpile in flash. No flex debugger back to em flash debugger + issues with managing assets. but nice code hinting.
2. (and i have never tried this with flash component based flash apps [only stuff i created in flash myself])
export each symbol as a seperate swf and use the embed tag with that. in theory (not tested properly) you should be able to introspect your movies as well.
someone else (dr zeus most likely) will be able to help more.

Flash Gordon
02-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Hangalot,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still confused a little bit. Let me describe my situation a bit more in detail. I'm doing an all AS 3.0 project in Flash CS3. There are not timeline scripts and all code in in a class. See image for my site structure:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/728/sitelayouthr9.jpg

the "classes" folder contains all concrete classes used to make the site happens where the "com" folder has all the typical kinds of classes. Within "classes" you can see some stuff there with "Main.as" being my document class for wsr.fla

So want I want is all the benefits of Flex Builder 3 without having FB3 change around my folder structure. The ideal with be just to open Main.as in FB and "import" the classes that I will be using so I get nice code hints, linking to functions, etc...

Is there a nice way to set this up? I've watched the tutorial on this at gotoandlearn.com but it takes you from a new Flex project to using Flash. I need to go the other way.

Thanks a bunch and enjoy your weekend :)

hangalot
02-10-2008, 09:52 AM
you don't have to change your folder structure. just add the folders to your class path

Flash Gordon
02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
ok, but does it has to be in a new project? Or can I just open up my class files and add the folders from there?

And why does each time I make a AS file, it has to be a project. Why can't I make the same "project name" but if different folders? URGH!!!!!!

ps. besides this stuff, I really like FB. And I hope to start learning some mxml once I can get pass this initial frustration.

hangalot
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
when creating the project just don't create it in the default location.

Flash Gordon
02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't but it always stores the .project file in My Documents where ever I save the project.

hangalot
02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
but that is for eclipse. it does not make a difference.

Flash Gordon
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
hmmm....I think you are right. In play in this, I guess I was saving files everywhere imaginable. But yea, you're right about that. Sorry :o

But I'm still confused how to turn post #3 image into something Flex can use. It seems I always had to create a new project and can't just use an "existing project" and import that into Flex.

hangalot
02-11-2008, 06:47 PM
create new project, don't use default location, point to your existing project and make certain to setup your class paths

Flash Gordon
02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
awesome! Thanks soooooo much for this help!!!!!!!!!