PDA

View Full Version : How do you control a movie clip three levels deep from _root?

kevincop
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
So I have this website that goes to frame #86 to display the "about us" content. I want to script that frame on the _root so that the button "aboutus" stays tucked in while the content is displayed (thus people know what page they're on). I just can't for the life of me figure out why the instance name is not enough to control it.

Here's what I'm using:

_root.volctrl.buttons.aboutus.gotoAndStop("s2");

That should make the "aboutus" movie clip go to and stop at the tucked in position. Problem is, nothing happens! Is it impossible to control a movie clip three levels deep from _root ?

I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time and in my trace(); tests it appeared as though the movie clip "volctrl" is referred to as "instance33". Does that mean I have not set an instance name for it? Because I actually did.

Thank you much for your response,
Kevin

ASWC
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
using trace is the best way to figure it out:

trace(_root.volctrl.buttons.aboutus._name)

and see what comes out of that.

There's nothing wrong about calling a MC 3 levels dp.

atomic
02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
"volctrl" is referred to as "instance33"...

Looks as a missing instance name...

And is aboutus a button or a movie clip?

If it's a button, you cannot target it's timeline....

And "s2" is usually used in templates... Guess this is one, right?

kevincop
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
ASWC, thank you much. I thought so too.

Atomic, yes, it's a template and it's a movie clip that I'm trying to target, named "aboutus".
I guess this is the new way to make nav buttons - movie clips. It's been some time since I last played with Flash, but I definitely see the advantage of using movie clips.

Thank you both for replying and for the information.