PDA

View Full Version : FLVPlayback: playback performance while preloading multiple flv's

sebass
04-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Greetings all.

I'm experiencing playback performance problems while loading multiple flv's in the background..

Here's what I'm doing:

I'm loading 30 flv files (progressive download) into one single FLVPlayback component using the ready event to trigger each next load and using the activeVideoPlayerIndex to distinguish each videolayer (pretty straighforward).. Works really well, actually.

The problem is.. After a couple of preloads (about six) I want to start playing the flv on videolevel 0 (activeVideoPlayerIndex = 0 and visibleVideoPlayerIndex = 0) to prevent the user from waiting too long.. The rest of the flv's continue loading in the background, but during this process the playback of the first flv is choppy and bumpy..

Has anyone had this same experience, and if so, have you got any solutions or tips??

Thanks in advance
Sebass

atomic
04-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Might not be the reason in your case, but I did have a similar issue a while back...
Turns out that sound starting on the first frame of the video was the culprit.
After adding a half second of silence on the beginning of the videos (before encoding them..) solved the problem.

sebass
04-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Would that be half a second of silence in all 30 of them or just the videos I want to play while downloading the remains?

thanks for your reply
Sebass

atomic
04-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, you can try it on 1 or a few of the videos first, to see if it does solve the problem, then advise...

sebass
04-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Seems like your suggestion does solve one or two things.. Performance has improved. We've just added half a second of nothingness (no audio, no video) to the first playing flv.. Actually, it looks like in general flv plays a lot smoother doing that. Whether you're downloading in the background or not..
We've also cut back the download size by half (by reducing the frame and bitrate). This obviously also helps..

grtz.

atomic
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Grrrrrrreat! ;)