PDA

View Full Version : Using PDF's with Projector

Kevin Taylor
10-09-2002, 04:08 PM
I have looked at all the threads pertaining to using PDF's with MX. I don't believe I saw anything that would exactly help me with my latest project.

I am making an application using MX, to be distributed via CD. In one portion of the application I refer to a PDF document, that I use the following code for.

on (release) {
getURL("Resources/Loading Labels.pdf");
}

This affectively loads the PDF into the internet browser, using the PDF plug-in.

However, I don't want to use the internet browser to display the document, I wish to display it in it's native Reader program.

I have tried using fscommand and the 'exec' subset, yet I get no response at all.

Is there a way to force the environment OS to use it's association instead of the browser to display PDF's, and if so can anyone please assist me.

As always, thanks a lot guys!

-Kevin Taylor
Marketing Publications
Datamax Corporation
Orlando, Florida

i++
10-10-2002, 10:52 AM
hi kevin,

you want to have a look on this thread and the tutorial mentioned in the thread:

http://www.actionscripts.org/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=5843

i++

Kevin Taylor
10-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks, on my way to look at it now. I appreciate the response and the direction!

-Kevin Taylor
Marketing Publications
Datamax Corporation
Orlando, Florida

Kevin Taylor
10-10-2002, 02:11 PM
As of right now, the information that I had read and tried to implement wasn't successful.

In my application, I have the user navigating to a set portion of the app. When they get there, they are presented with a movie, and below the movie is a link to press to open a PDF file with information pertaining to what they are watching.

I placed a graphic, and an invisible button on the stage. The script for the invisibleButton is/was:

on (release) {
filename = "Loading Labels.pdf";
fscommand ("exec", "start\t" + filename);
fscommand ("exec", "cmd\t/c\t" + filename);
}

Still, does absolutely nothing.

Any additional assistance would be great!

-Kevin Taylor
Marketing Publications
Datamax Corporation
Orlando, Florida

mcarey
01-23-2003, 08:24 PM
This isn't working for me, either. (The 'magic start' method). I have only successfully gotten the 'batch file, fscommand directory' method to work on Windows (without the aid of 3rd party tools like Flash Studio Pro). The applescript method on the Mac works fine as well.
I am running Win2k.

Kevin, did you find a solution? Anyone else have input?

thanks for the help.

djungle
01-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi,

I read somewhere a while ago that Flash Mx would no longer support this type of script due to security reasons...(ie. creating or running malicious virus script)

Sorry for the bad news!

mcarey
01-23-2003, 09:38 PM
yes, I realized just a bit ago that the 'magic start' solution & Jesse's tutorial was a Flash 5 solution.
Just trying to get around seeing the ms dos window flash that you get when using the bat file method (without relying on FS Pro).

thanks.
maura

DiDi
01-24-2003, 05:05 PM
There are a few FREE tools you could try instead of FS Pro. Check for them in the Resources section here:

Flash Projectors and Crossplatform CD Burning FAQ (http://usuarios.lycos.es/didinomade/ProjectorsBurningFAQ.htm)

Hope this helps...

DD

wyclef
04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Hey Kevin,

Did you ever figure this out?