PDA

View Full Version : Running AS3 Flex builder projects with Flash CS3?

ASWC
06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm working with Flexbuilder 3 pro and I'll be writing tutorials for AS3 with that (basicaly creating an actionscript project). Now I'm wondering if users of Flash CS3 will be able to run these tutorials without problems? Any thoughts?

Cota
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I work in both FlexBuilder and Flash IDE with AS3 and there are some significant differences that will cause issues. For example, anything dealing with fonts works very different in FlexBuilder -vs- Flash IDE. I dont know all of the differences, but I'm sure you'll find them along the way.

ASWC
06-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll check that.

Cota
06-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Another issue I ran into today while using FlexBuilder. Accessing FlashVars is very different in FlexBuilder -vs- Flash IDE.

ASWC
06-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Thx cota for all the inputs. I used flash CS3 pro today at the university and try to run some of my AS3 classes and it's indeed quite different. I was hoping to be able to write tutorials that could either go onto an actionscript project in Flex builder 3 pro and Flash CS3 with just a copy and paste from the tutorial user but from what I saw today I don't think it'll work. It's obvious that people will be more interested about Flash CS3 tutorials than just AS3 compiler tutorials. So I guess I'll still go with AS2 tutorals until I buy CS4. :)

Cota
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
well, it doesnt hurt to try. Maybe write a guide as to the differences between the two..

ASWC
06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Just got myself Flash CS3, bummer it has classes not available with Flex builder (hard to do the count) but already i can't find any tween classes in my Flex builder. That will be a challenge to do tutorials compatible or all these platforms. Well, I'll try.

Cota
06-17-2008, 08:36 PM
In Flex, you have to create a structure for all your classes. Its a pain, but ends up being great for file size. The downside, is you have to marry your tutorial to specific 3rd party classes..

CW.Allen-Poole
07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Just got myself Flash CS3, bummer it has classes not available with Flex builder (hard to do the count) but already i can't find any tween classes in my Flex builder. That will be a challenge to do tutorials compatible or all these platforms. Well, I'll try.

There are animation classes... Resize and Move come to mind.