PDA

View Full Version : Programming for Air and Web(Flash Player) best practice

xanthias
06-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi,

I currently have a program I am writing that I would like to develop for an standalone Air application and Web application running in a browser off the flash player plugin. Alot of the code is the same, but again some specific code to air and web.

What I was wondering, is it better to develop 2 separate projects keeping the common code synced? or should I write it with both air and web app code in the file? Also is there a way to do write both air and web app code in one flash cs3 file without something giving me errors?

I apologize if this isn't the correct place but it was both a best practices and a how to question.

painteroflight
07-01-2008, 04:07 AM
The standard practice with porting an application to a different environment is to first build the application in whichever environment you will have the largest user base. Once the application is built for the first environment, you can then port it to others.

This is really the only clean and efficient way to do it. If you start running multiple projects at the same time and try to "sync" code you are going to make more work for yourself than is worth it. As to your second point, mixing environment code is never recommended as it unnecessarily muddles your code and can as you stated above cause superfluous compile time errors.

Just my two cents though.