PDA

View Full Version : Is this viable in AIR??? Newbie

tdsm
06-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi everyone!

I have an idea for a little project and have a few questions. I have developed something simple in flash but I need to add file read/write functionality, communicating with the Linux OS.

I have NO experience with Linux so please be a little patient with me :p - I had hoped to find something like Screenweaver (www.screenweaver.org) but it doesn't support Linux. So a few questions...

1. Is there an alternative 'wrapper' projector for linux that would give me basic file I/O functionality?

If not...

2. Is it possible to create an AIR runtime that doesn't rely on the end-user having AIR installed (like in Flash I can create a stand-alone projector)
3. If they must have AIR installed, do they also have to install my AIR app or can it just run without any install?
4. If there is any installation required, can I install AIR and/or my app onto removable media e.g. CD-ROM or flash disc then run everything from there?

Phew, lots of questions ;)

Thanks for being so patient

Tom

tdsm
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
...Oooh and another thing

5. Can you tell me what this means? It's from the AIR for Linux FAQ...
Q: Will Adobe AIR for Linux expire?
A: Yes, the Adobe AIR for Linux alpha will expire on March 1st, 2009.

kukoc
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
1. i dont know any alternative wrappers for linux, but Adobe actually work at AIR runtime for Linux, so it should has possibility of read and write local files.

2. no, you can use wrapper for this but as i said above i dont know any for linux
additionaly Adobe forbid you to modificating for any purposes AIR Runtime

3. well you can install your air app on your computer, then put all files from your AIR app instalation path to a zip and ready to go! :)

4. if you want to install Adobe AIR Runtime on end-users computers in other way that Adobe provide it by their website you need to ask adobe for permission, check this out: http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2008/04/07/redistributing-the-adobe-air-runtime-installer/
i did it without any problem, this is free of charge - they give you licence for one year. After one year you need to ask them once again.
The best solution for me (windows only) it was - that i created windows installer where i put files of my AIR app and Adobe AIR Runtime installer. So when i run the installer - it install all files and automaticly run & install AIR runtime installer to.

5. it means that at this date adobe announce AIR runtime for linux BETA 1, and Alpha will be discontinued.