PDA

View Full Version : stats with webalizer and flash

spamtheman
10-23-2002, 08:26 AM
hi

does any one know if there is any way i can create log files or send variables out of flash so that webalizer can understand it
i know with like hitbox you can add a javascript to the web page and send out javascripts from within flash, is there anything similar with i can do with javascritp or php

regards
andy

LuxFX
10-24-2002, 02:31 PM
if nothing else, you can use that same javascript technique, and just control it from within flash itself. you can use either an fscommand message or perhaps a getURL("javascript:") formatted command. Other possibilities along these lines is to use frames, with one of them being 'invisible' (either a single pixel, or the same background, or something), and target that with the getURL("url", frame) command; or use a small IFRAME somewhere on the page, targetting it the same.

I'm not sure if flash's loadMovie will trigger the server log, I've never thought about it before, but it's possible.... You might play with this option, and load small, invisible files at certain times just to track the user.

If you want to get really complicated, you could probably use flash's XML functions to load an xml page from the server, which I'm pretty sure would trigger the server log.

I hope any of these ideas will help you get started!
LuxFX

spamtheman
10-24-2002, 02:50 PM
cheers for the reply

i'll look into those possibilities, i was thinking javascript would probably be my easiest option, but frames could be a possibility

regards
andy