PDA

View Full Version : confused about external files...

blakefleeg
07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to preface by saying that I am a novice flash user attempting to edit purchased templates....anyway...what I am trying to do seems pretty easy but everything I try doesn't seem to work.

I have my sited hosted online thru go daddy (www.blakefleegle.com). I am trying to create a button that when pressed (release) opens up a document, my resume. I am playing the flash using a swf file, and not projector (i think that matters).

I've tried using the simple:
on (release) {
getURL("resume.doc", "_blank");
}
with my resume in the same directory as the swf & html...but nothing happens.

Can anyone explain to me how to get this to work!?? It seems like an easy enough thing to do...but then again, i am fairly novice...

Thanks!!

~Blake

AleksandarAndreev
07-29-2008, 05:21 PM
You should check first to make sure that the template is actionscript2, you can check that. Click on File-> Publish Settings, from there choose Flash and see what is the version of actionscript that the template is using.

If it is as2 than make sure that the event is applied to the button. Add some traces and see if you see them. If you don't it would mean that you haven't put the code on the button or there is something overlapping the button. You could try also to give it name like lets say start_resume_btn and than
start_resume_btn.onPress = function(){
getUrl("my_file.doc","_blank")
}

if it is as3 you will have to make your code in as3 not in as2 using addEventListener and MouseEvent

blakefleeg
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
OK. I checked, and it is using AS2...

I have no idea how to put tracers on the btn... can you explain?

It could be overlapping something. But I;ve used "Bring to Front" so that shouldn't make a difference right?

Also, the btn i created was originally a movie clip that I converted to a btn. I then selected the button and added the getURL....

I don't know if any of that matters, but I figured i'd give you as much info as possible instead of least...

Thx

AleksandarAndreev
07-29-2008, 06:29 PM
well, you have two options, either to find out what is overlapping, or to create some ugly hack :) , the first one will take more time but will be much better, the second one will be faster and will not be very good
I attached a class for you that will make your button working. Just attach this class to the movieclip of the button and it will work :)