PDA

View Full Version : after sending to asp, cant get vars back when in same browser window

Octavian
11-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Earlier I was was wanting to write two variables ("name" and "message") from flash to a .txt file using asp. Well I got it pretty much working how I want it. Just some minor details I need to work on. But now I send the variables. It writes them to the text file. Then the flash movie waits a couple seconds before loading the variables back. When I am in a browser the newly submitted text does not show up unless I close the browser, open a new one, and go to my site again. When I just use flash stand alone player on my computer it works great. Any ideas?

The link www26.brinkster.com/gwflash

I know, I need to ditch the freebie host.

hangalot
11-19-2002, 07:32 AM
my guess is u r running some version of the NT kernel, and that your IE is caching the data. This has given me several nightmares. You pick up the data from a txt file, yes. if that is so then my guess is even more likely to be correct. Change the .txt file name to an .asp file and add the following asp code to the top
<% response.expires = -1 %>

the file system object does not care what type of file you open with it, if u r concerned about that.

Octavian
11-19-2002, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing the exact same thing you told me to do on my own without any help. Woohoo! It's always more fun when you figure a problem out yourself.

binkyboo
12-11-2002, 09:08 PM
I'm currently working on a project similar to yours. I have the front end Flash piece built but our goal is to give product managers the capability to fill out a form in ASP that creates and spits variables into a text file. These text files are loaded into our Flash pieces. It's a choose your own adventure simulation. The only problem is I don't have ASP knowledge. Could you point me in the right direction for finding script to accomplish this task. I've currently searched Microsoft's site and found some valuable information but I'm a long ways away from making this work. Thanks in advance for the replys!:)

tg
12-11-2002, 09:27 PM
www.aspfaq.com
www.asp101.com
www.devguru.com
www.4guysfromrolla.com

to name a few

binkyboo
12-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks tg!:)