PDA

View Full Version : BIG Projector Issues

Twister
11-20-2002, 02:30 PM
So i was creating a CD rom and its a combination of flash and quicktime files. Quicktime as imported into flash so they user doesn't need quicktime. Good idea excep that the projector comes out at 85Mb. I didn't think this would be an issue since it's runing off a CD but it seems to be. On two Windows ME machines it doesn't work at all. It either freezes or brings up a white screen with no information. On W98 (or is it 2000) it works but takes up to 30 seconds to load and in that time you have no idea what's happening. On a Mac (os x) it doesn't work the first time it's clicked on but the second time it pops right up.

My question is, is this normal? Why would it take so long when its just running off the HD or CD? It's not linking out to anything else it's just self contained.

Thanks
Twister

tost
11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
i wouldn't call myself an expert on projectors, but i do have a theory :D

a projector file is an application, so it takes it's own portion of ram. the amount of memory it gets will be dependent of the sysem it's running on: how much ram there is on the machine, the amount that's available at the moment, the permission to take ram from the system..
if the projector is launched, it will be loaded into the ram memory
if it's 85 meg, that most definitely will get you in trouble on all exept the fastest machines. try opening a 85 meg psd file on a slow computer
plenty of time to get some coffee :)

a projector is no more then (yourfile.swf + flashPlayer)
and a flash player playing 85 mb files? guess not.

i think you'll end up making a lot of small(-er) swf's to load in the main movie

good luck :)
tost

Twister
11-20-2002, 04:40 PM
to my suprise the client was happy with it. :eek: But in the second round i'm going to make the flash movies seperate from the main movie and each other. It'll cause more 'loading' screens but that's better than a computer that seems like it froze.

Thanks
Twister