PDA

View Full Version : scrolling flash menu of images controlled by xml - want to launch .exe program.

catnerd
12-18-2008, 10:22 PM
I have a scrolling flash menu that I use xml to control the images and links with. However, I want one of the images on the menu to launch an .exe file. I've read that you can do this with the FS command but I don't understand how to do it when my images are controlled via xml. Can someone provide a reference link or give me advice??

matbury
12-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi catnerd,

I think you've posted your question on the wrong part of this forum. In AS 3.0, I'm pretty sure that FS Command has been depricated and replaced with ExternalInterface.

If you want to create an application using AS 3.0 that can access files on the user's hard-drive, I'd suggest having a look at the Adobe AIR extensions for Flash, Flex or AJAX.

catnerd
12-19-2008, 05:56 PM
You are correct. Sorry about the wrong posting location... I'm a new member.

catnerd
12-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi,
Im using xml to pull images for display on a scrolling menu. I can control the link properties within the xml document BUT I really want to add more advanced features associated with the images. For example, I would like to click one of the images and start an .exe file. I know I need to use the ExternalInterface class to do this, but how do I assign that to a specific image when it's pulled from a xml document?

Thanks!