PDA

View Full Version : JESSE - QUESTION relative content scrolling

udminc
01-14-2001, 10:13 PM
Jesse,

Do you believe those images on those sites are 5000 px long?? What do you think they did to minimize the size of the movie?

Jesse
01-14-2001, 10:28 PM
Sorry? You mean the images on Webagent and stuff? Yeah I can believe they would be pretty damn long. Perhaps not 5K pixels but around that.
I think you'll find that they didn't use the exact same method that I did. My tutorial was to be an Intermediate level tutorial so I made it a more simple way using tweens and tell targets rather than using loops and maths, which is the way the other guys made their orriginals. You can tell because when you scroll between elements it accelerates and then slows down as you get closer tot he element you want. Thus, they don't have a clip with a motion tween of a 5000px graphic, which would probbably save them a few KB :)

Cheers

Jesse

udminc
01-14-2001, 10:47 PM
Well, if we did something similar to a slider - i.e. slider frame actions are:

content_width = 700;
left = getProperty("", _x);
right = Number(left)+Number(content_width);
base_x = getProperty(scroll_target, _x);

Isn't it possible to work that way? I want to know how to slow up/speed up!

Jesse
01-15-2001, 11:07 PM
You wouldn't even need to do that much. Speedy ones can be done using looping MCs and calculating the current and target content scenes (like I don in mine) then incrimenting _x by the difference divided by some increasing function. So it would go faster at first and then slow down. The problem I had was finding a function which actually reached zero as otherwise it will continue to scroll ever so slightly for ever :)

I'll look into it when I get a minute, maybe I'll make an advanced level tutorial but ther'es planty on the list to do first.

Cheers

Jesse

udminc
01-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Here it is:

http://www.the-stickman.com/tutorials/f4barneys_menu.shtml

Maybe you can find out a way to write a tutorial on the file, but hey, at least the file is there!

:-)