PDA

View Full Version : gubbah gubbah gubbah

Billy T
12-04-2002, 01:20 AM
not quite finished but any feedback is welcome - http://www.gubbah.com/

Thanks

thpii
12-04-2002, 03:09 AM
Very cool sliding menus! I know bandwidth is an issue to take into consideration, but if it were MY music, I would post higher quality MP3s, or at least give the option for high/low bandwidth... Nothing sounds worse to me than a mp3 < 96kbs...

But the site looks really cool!

-Theron
http://www.theronparlin.com

thpii
12-04-2002, 03:13 AM
one more thing, that mp3 player is awesome! I love that you can fast forward through the song by clicking on any part of it... great idea! Also, is that image of the audio fake, or does it really correspond to the song? If it DOES correspond, is that something you made outside of flash and just imported it as an image?

Again, really cool man!

-Theron
http://www.theronparlin.com

Billy T
12-04-2002, 03:20 AM
Thank you :)

yes the waveform images are screengrabs that were imported into flash. They should be a pretty accurate description of what is being played though...

I agree about the sound quality. Unfortunately, I am in Australia where a lot of people still only have 56k. There will soon be higher quality mp3s available to download

Thanks again

bongbox
12-04-2002, 04:18 AM
hey man great work you have there really look profesional i hope ill able to build site like that, can u upload the fla files dont worry man i wont copy it ill just try to learn from it some technics educational purposes it really look kewl

Billy T
12-04-2002, 04:20 AM
thanks

what is it you want to know how to do?

bongbox
12-04-2002, 05:54 AM
just want to learn new fx like you did wanna study how u did it like i told you b4 i wont copy it if i would or ill do similar to it ill inform you it be great if u do thanks again

Billy T
12-04-2002, 06:01 AM
basically everything in the site is covered in these tutes -

http://www.tableau.com.au/tutorials/MXScrolling/index.html

http://www.tableau.com.au/tutorials/alias_text_tut/

http://www.tableau.com.au/tutorials/coverPreloader/index.html

cheers

bongbox
12-05-2002, 10:06 PM
fla file of it would be good pls

Billy T
12-05-2002, 10:15 PM
the tutes all have flas to download...

snapple
12-06-2002, 02:24 AM
Billy T,

Nice, i can see that you like to keep to a certain style // take a uniform approach to your work. But its good because they do look different and it is affective.

What i liked about the site:

[1] The size and shape, appearance - clean cut.

[2] Easy to use, the mouseOver approach to navigating sites can often (as i am sure yu are aware) lead to the site 'running away' from the user, can get a little out of control.

[3] All major info is nice and central, and therefore promotes the site well. It is easy to see the results of your actions.

[4] Colors, yeah, bg images and graphical stuff - all looks sweet ! Although the text box does tend to look a little 'overlapping' or rather like it has been plonked there, like on the 'gabble' section. However, it does not effect the reading of it, and its probably just cos i am so used to seeing text boxes in neat little corners and on straight bg's - i am guilty of that.

What i did not like about the site:

[5] The menu tag, looked pixelated when it moved into its position - not too bad though.

[6] The way you only had to go near the sections and the menu/section was activated. I understand that this has to happen for ease of use. But it just meant that i kept on accidently activating sections when i was doing something else.

[7] Think the audio buttons were a little too big on mouseOver, but nice effect !

[8]The white bg on the loading sequence was a little invasive, looked like there needed to be something there whilst the pre-oader did its thing, or just make it black.

-------------------------------

Having said all that, its not finished yet, so half of thse comments, your probably sitting there saying "snapple you nit wit, of course its going to be liek that, it's not ******* finished"

I liked the layout, as i say the mouseOvers can be dangerous, but because they are nice and evenly laid out, i.e. left, bottom, right - all good !

Right, stop ranting now snapple.

Thanks for taking the time to read my comments.

snapple :)

thpii
12-06-2002, 02:31 AM
Bongbox... I don't think your gonna find many people will give you the fla's of sites that they do for clients. It's not that people don't want to share, but clients often pay a good amount of money to have the work done and they usually have agreements with the designers to have the source turned over to them when the work is finished. Some clients even require that designers sign non-disclosure agreements before doing work... so it's just not always ethical for designers to give away source like that.

I'm sure you'll find anyone here is willing to share code, ideas, fonts, fla files, knowledge, etc... with you, as they have with me. But for a lot of clients, source code is considered a company asset.

Just some food for thought...

Cheers,

-Theron

bongbox
12-06-2002, 02:43 AM
i know i understans thanks anyway guys i check i've read all of billy t tutorials there really been big help to me thanks billy i check ur site too thpii its nice too u guys great

Billy T
12-06-2002, 04:21 AM
snapple - all good points ;)

5 - not sure what I can do about that...stupid pixel fonts...actually i do know what I can do about it :) I'll make a gif of the text

6 - I try adjusting the sensitivity of the menus

7 - will change it

8 - yeah solid black might look just as "invasive"...hmmm what would be nice is if the content disappeared with a "wipe" and then the new content came in with a wipe...a masking effect that had the semi transparent black in the background the whole time...might have to redo the whole structure of the content :(

4 - not too sure what you mean by this one - please elaborate

Thanks for the feedback

thpii - well put

bongbox - glad the tutes have helped

cheers

Billy T
12-06-2002, 06:17 AM
snapple - think I've made all the changes you suggested - please check again when you get a sec

www.gubbah.com

also, can people please tell me if they look at the site and a background image doesn't load or an audio track doesn't auto play as soon as you get in - I'm having some probs with the domain redirection script I'm using...

Thanks all

bongbox
12-06-2002, 07:50 AM
hey billy t i like the scroll in your site any tutorials
for that

snapple
12-06-2002, 10:50 AM
Billy T,

Woaaa - you did not need my input. Cannot believe how much better it looks. Such a massive improvement. really mate, the way each section loads, 100x better, and the menu tab, well thats been improved beyond belief - its much better now it remains horizontal, fits in witht he images section - really love it!

The _alpha on the loaded area, that really nails it for me. It brings the whole site together, really does, you can see all of the bg, therefore the text fits in much better, site looks more planned and intergtrated. It looks like a whole new site....you actually get any sleep last night ?

Really, those improvements have really emphasised the polished look. Also i hit it with broadband today, last night i was on crappy dial up.

But as i say the whole sites looks much neater (menu tab and the way it slides into position), better planned (_alpha on the laoded area, means bg's are visible) and easier to use, massive improvement.

Thanks for taking the time to read my comments.

Best regards, snapple :)

subquark
12-06-2002, 11:14 AM
outstanding work!

anybody wanna buy a slightly used Flash MX with a never used actionscript . . .

jevans
12-06-2002, 04:02 PM
hey billy,

everything loads up and plays instantly here.

regards, jevans

red penguin
12-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Nice work, Billy!

CLean...nice mp3 player, bud! And I too am looking for your scrollers..very nice. I likey!

Billy T
12-07-2002, 03:16 AM
thanks again folks :)

attached is my scroller. Its best used with a pixel font and there are a few bugs.

eg its stuffs up if the text is just a little taller than the masked area. Needs to be atleast twice as tall I think...

doesn't work with loaded text either :(

cheers

red penguin
12-07-2002, 03:24 AM
Doesn't work with loaded text?

GAH!

I'm screwed!

Red Penguin laughs. Still lookin' good Billy!

Billy T
12-07-2002, 03:44 AM
can you think of a way to get it working with loaded text? I'm sure it could be done using .scroll and maxscroll etc...

Billy T
12-07-2002, 08:05 AM
got it all working except for the embed fonts and masking

I gotta fly

cheers

--removed attachment--

Billy T
12-07-2002, 11:24 AM
ok got the masking working...damn Flash is picky about the order of the code when embeding fonts and setting textFormats etc...

cheers

vilehelm
12-08-2002, 04:27 AM
Hey Billy, uhm the only thing I really noticed was once the menu is opened and a selection is made there's no way to get rid of the info window that pops up...I guess there's no need but it was something that I found myself looking for...

Not sure how the image section will resolve itself but it seems like having all of that stuff pop up on top of one another could be kinda messy visually.

Maybe just a little close box on the pop up for dumb users like me...?

Slick though, torture tested very well, clicked the menu as fast as I could and never got an error.

=v=

Billy T
12-08-2002, 08:13 AM
thanks for the feedback ;)

I was think of making the gallery like this - http://www.kitsuman.com/chrisbailey/

images will just be visible in that little area on the right - you think that will be messy?

not sure if the background image is really important enough to warrant a close popup button...will see what the client thinks

Thanks again

vilehelm
12-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Hmm, not messy (I was assuming they would be popping up over the main space like the info box) but maye a litle small...? Will that box slide out?

Like I said, I guess there is no reason to return to the "home" state but it was just something I was looking for. I was momentarily flummoxed. Happens all the time. ;)

*whacks Red Penguin* shaddup you!

Billy T
12-08-2002, 09:14 PM
ok a rough of the gallery is up and (just to prevent another vilehelm panic attack :p ) there's a close button too

www.gubbah.com

as always, feedback would be appreciated

cheers

Grifter
12-10-2002, 10:09 AM
well, first off, i'd like to duplicate every good thing said about the site/project (whatever you call it) - i am sure that i would never create anything this clean or functional. like everything about it, especially the theme of smoothness throughout - all the gliding (scroll bar, roll over sections, loading/unloading text) is v. cool.

i think i spotted a bug (but i'm probably wrong!), but not sure you can do anything about it (and it might just be this computer).
when scrolling text with the bar, if you drag it while the mouse is outside the scrollbar area then the bar flickers as if you're continually draggin' and droppin' it. hope you see what i mean, but it really isn't that big a problem anyway.

keep up the good work
Grifter
PS the background image is really nice (the new one and the previous one) - how'd you do it? oops, i only just realised that the background source was random - i like all the images, so you can disregard the previous comment about "new" and "previous"!

Billy T
12-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks Grifter

I can't see that bug with the scrollbar - can anyone else?

The background images were all made by a member of the band - all done in photoshop I think

Thanks again

Grifter
12-10-2002, 02:09 PM
no probs billy, 'tis a very nice site.

i can still do the scrollbar flicker thing (and i'm on a different computer now), so i'll guide step by step (and it'll probably still work fine for you! :mad: i'm not making it up, honest!)
1. load the history text.
2. press and hold on the scroll bar.
3. move it up and down, while the mouse is outside the scroll "track", and what happens when i do it is that it looks like you're releasing and pressing all the time.

nevermind, i think i'm probably the only person that this happens to, so you'll never know what i'm talking about! :rolleyes:

regards
Grifter

Billy T
12-10-2002, 09:57 PM
strange...doesn't do it for me...

does it look really bad or should I just let it go?

red penguin
12-10-2002, 10:08 PM
I got ya Grif..yeah...I see what he means. It's as if it is in the down and up state back and forth...

How is it handled, Billy? Just have on a mouseOut return it to the up state....

Billy T
12-10-2002, 10:33 PM
its just a normal button inside a 1 frame mc...button has the drag action on it

file is attached

Thanks

red penguin
12-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Well...I don't get the bug testing here.....I even published it and can't reproduce it in IE6.

I is confused. But I am working on it!

Billy T
12-10-2002, 11:19 PM
thanks man :)

JHallam
12-11-2002, 12:04 AM
Nice oh Nice Billy!

All works well for me, I haven't got anything to make points about due to the others already contributed.

I like it, works well, very simplicity looking and nifty.

All is very very good and working well for me

Browser - IE 6

Good work mate

Billy T
12-11-2002, 12:09 AM
thanks mate ;)

red penguin
12-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Okie...

Commented in the file...but basically....

An invisible button and a clip working in conjunction controlling the three states of the clip which mimic a button...

//
onClipEvent(load){
hit=0;
}
onClipEvent(mouseDown){
if((this.hitTest(_root._xmouse,_root._ymouse,false ))){
hit=1;
}
}
onClipEvent(mouseMove){
if((!(this.hitTest(_root._xmouse,_root._ymouse,fal se)) && hit)){
trace("FORCED down!");
this.gotoAndStop("down");
}
}
onClipEvent(mouseUp){
hit=0;
}
// and...
on (press) {
mov_btn.gotoAndStop("down");
startDrag(this, false, this._x, 0, this._x, _parent.stageHeight-this._height);
}
//stop the drag
on (release, releaseOutside) {
mov_btn.gotoAndStop("up");
stopDrag();
}
on(rollOver){
mov_btn.gotoAndStop("over");
}
on(rollOut){
mov_btn.gotoAndStop("up");
}

Hee! Hope it helps, buddy!

Billy T
12-11-2002, 12:38 AM
wow thanks red :)

you've gone above and beyond...

so what exactly was the problem? the button was flicking between the down and the up state? really strange that I can't see the problem...

Thanks again :) I will implement your changes as soon as I get a sec

red penguin
12-11-2002, 12:45 AM
Not a problem, squire! ANything to help you out!

As for the problem...dunno...Something goofy with the button, I suspect...I couldn't reproduce it here but on the web I did see it. Perhaps I should throw up this file to see if it still flickers but my guess is NOT!

:]

Billy T
12-11-2002, 12:54 AM
that would be great if you could test that out for me

Thanks again

red penguin
12-11-2002, 02:51 AM
Revamped scroller (http://www.tableau.com.au/red/scroll.html)

Comparing this one and the one on the gubbah site....this one doesn't do the same....

:]

-red

Billy T
12-11-2002, 03:01 AM
ok great I'll change em all

thanks again :D

Grifter
12-11-2002, 06:12 PM
glad to hear i wasn't imagining it, although i dunno why it was only us two - we must be special!! :p
also glad to hear you've got it sorted (nice job red), i checked it and it doesn't do the flickery thing.

this means the site's now officially perfect!

regards
Grifter

Billy T
12-11-2002, 08:50 PM
hehe I hope it was red's file you checked 'cause I haven't updated the site yet :p

Grifter
12-14-2002, 01:09 PM
oops :rolleyes: , no really, i checked red's file and it was working - i did go to the site and it was still doing the flickering.
just went there now and it no longer flickers - what took so long with the update! :p only joking, nice work.

Billy T
12-14-2002, 01:12 PM
cool ;)

Thanks

red penguin
12-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Cool.