PDA

View Full Version : EXE/Projector/combining swf's to one exe (hard)

drumcat
12-06-2002, 05:33 PM
First, thanks for taking the time to read this - it's probably a good challenge...

I have the task of creating tutorials for online viewing. I'm doing quite well on the content as a noob, I think. The hard part is making it easy for everyone to use. I'd like to offer these tutorials as a self-contained exe, and I'd like to know what anyone thinks. Here are the details:

I have this working fine in a browser/served environment. I have a content movie, which holds the "meat" of the tutorials, and a controller movie, essentially "VCR" controls. The controller sits on level3, and a user just clicks on the buttons to control the content playback. Simple enough. The current online version that works uses loadMovie to drop the controller on top of the content.

This works very well because movies started with loadMovie() use an asynchronous timeline. This is key, since the controller is 25 frames, and the content is often 4000-15000 frames.

The goal I have is to create an EXE/Projector file that is self-contained with both movies.

The challenge that I'm running into is that the method for combining into one file would be to import the swf to the library, and then use attachMovie() to put the controller on top of the content. However, the attachMovie() method has a synchronous timeline when attached, and ignores ActionScript stored in the imported movie.

In other words, loadMovie works fine, where attachMovie just 'dumbly' plays the 25 frames and ignores the code already in the movie.

There are a few workarounds, like burying the files in a folder, zipping the two files, etc., but they aren't tidy. If anyone knows the methodology I've not yet found, or if you can authoritatively say why it can't be done, it would be a huge help. A well-formed answer and excellent help could be worth some free software! =)

farafiro
12-10-2002, 08:46 AM
u can do one of 2 things:
1) Import the swfs' u have and put each one of them in a seperate MC and then linkage/attach

2) Or Make all the swfs as a new scenes in the same movie and change your script

NRudd
12-11-2002, 02:15 PM
try using something like SWFKit (www.swfkit.com) or FlashStudio Pro (http://www.multidmedia.com/)