PDA

View Full Version : buttons on game all go to same URL

scousehouse
12-06-2002, 05:50 PM
I have butons inserted onto a movieclip background. In theory, when you press 'enter' on them, they should take you to individual pages. Instead, they're all going to the same page. Why do they all think they're the same button and how can I overcome it?

Example

Go to girl reading book, press 'enter' you go animation of the bouncer!

See what I mean at www.liamdevereux.com

red penguin
12-06-2002, 05:58 PM
My guess is that the button's code contains the same getURL call?

scousehouse
12-06-2002, 06:08 PM
no...or at least not as far as I know.

They all have getURL command, but it will be
getURL ("bouncer.htm","_self") ;

or perhaps
getURL ("librarian.htm","_self") ;

but they all end up going to just one...should I be doing something different?

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated

red penguin
12-06-2002, 06:20 PM
If they all contain the same URL reference, they will all call up the same page.

Am I missing something obvious?

scousehouse
12-06-2002, 06:33 PM
The URLs are different. I've got bouncer.htm, librarian.htm, flyer.htm, me.htm and links.htm but they're ALL going to bouncer.htm, despite me labelling them seperately.

You'll also see on my interviews page, that all the links go to the interview with Grandmaster Flash at the moment (apologies that it's still very crude at the moment)

Thanks again mr penguin, you're a star!

red penguin
12-06-2002, 07:08 PM
One: I don't see these buttons...My mouse is hidden and I know not where any buttons are??

Two: I continually get an error on your pages.
(Line 2, CHaracter 29, Syntax Error)

Three: I get Ben Sims no problem as well as Jeff Mills.

scousehouse
12-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Okay, I've got rid of the mouseHide- I did that simply as a cheat because I still don't know how to use my little man to activate the buttons (i.e.the bouncer, the librarian ec.)

However, I think you've found the interviews through the buttons on the left hand side- I'm changing my site so that all the info is accessed through the little man. If you try through the game, you'll find that no matter which buttons you press 'enter' on, you will always a:talk to the bouncer and go to the interview room and then b:always end up with the Grandmaster Flash interview.

Does this make sense?

Sincere thanks for helping me

scousehouse
12-06-2002, 08:22 PM
by the way, I should have said this a long time ago!

The code I've assigned on each of the buttons is:

on (release, keyPress "<Enter>") {
getURL ("xxxx.html", "_self");
}

THNX