PDA

View Full Version : display problems with multi-level movie

mase1361
04-25-2001, 10:29 PM
Got a website...in this website are 10 different movies, each representing a different section of the site....on the first frame of the level0 movie (which the main navigation lives) i load movies into levels 2-10.....frames 2-3 contain a preloader for the level0 movie. On frame 4 i load a movie into level1....(movies 2-10 all have a stop command in the first frame, the movie loaded into level1 does not, because i want that movie to play right at startup, but be tucked away when one of the other movies is accessed)

this method works great.....except (and here's the curveball) one of the othe links in the main navigation, accesses a different HTML page with a new flash movie from the original (i'm doing this because this content needs to be password protected, and its very easy for me to create a new directory and stick a password on it).....so when i call this different html page, i'm using the same method of loading movies into levels as in the first paragraph, but since this new page lives in a different directory, i'm loading the same movies again, but from this new directory (so i've duplicated the ten movie files in this new directory)--hopefully i'm making some semblance of sense here..

when this second page is accessed, the movies do not load properly....the movie in level0 does not display...although the movie the plays in a higher level does display...if i hit the refresh button, i can see everything, but my links still don't function properly....

now, if i go directly to the second html page, i don't see these problems, they only happen when i use the GetUrl command from the first movie and to open the second page...

can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?

mase1361
04-30-2001, 01:28 PM
well, i came up with a solution to my own problem, and i figured i would post what the issue was, maybe because the sound of my fingers tap, tap, tapping away at the keyboard puts me at ease....

i was attempting to load ten seperate movies into ten different levels by using the loadMovie command in the first frame of movie living in level0....for some reason, some of the movies that were loaded would play when asked to (the movies were told to play using tellTarget in the level0 movie) and some (the larger ones) would not display...(this problem was more pronounced in slower connection enviroments). Hitting the reload button would help sometimes, and sometimes hitting the reload button more than once would be necesary. My thinking was that something was up with how the browser was caching files, but to this day i don't have enough understanding of what's really going to on to explain any further....

my solution was to use only two levels at one time (the level0 movie staying all the time, and instead of using PLAY command, i Load and Unload movies into and out of Level1....)
This eliminated the display problems i was having....

this solution is satisfactory, but i took the original approach in an attempt to reduce the amount of time a user needed to wait for the loading of any particular section of the site....I'm under the assumption that i was doing something incorrectly, but i'm unclear on what that might have been, so for right now, i'm going to avoid using this technique of loading multiple movies into a bunch of levels (at least for web-based projects) until i do come to an understanding of what i was doing wrong....