PDA

View Full Version : Creating FLV on fly

memoorthy
02-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Recently, we are working on a project that requires FLV's to be created on the fly. Essentially merge of couple of videos and audio layers to create a new FLV. Is there any possibility on doing this kind of thing? I have learnt FFMPEG is something towards this, yet to explore the possibilities.

Please help.

kkbbcute
02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Use a program like After Effects or Premiere to compile everything and export as flv.

memoorthy
02-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. But i need the FLV to be created during runtime, in the server. (sorry for missing that)

CyanBlue
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Howdy and Welcome... :)

It sounds like you'd want to create one FLV out of other assets on the fly, but I don't think that's possible... Love to be proven wrong though...

kkbbcute
02-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Same sentiments here, logically and technically, it would not be feasible to constantly regenerate a new flv as every new flv needs to be rendered, and is not just a mashup, therefore performance wise something like that is not feasible.

hmdakr
02-23-2009, 08:06 AM
but same thing exist here

http://jaycut.com/

how they did it then?

yell0wdart
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
My best guess would be that they're using a server technology to do that. The information needs to be persisted somehow (most likely entirely into a db, rather than a file system). I'm not super familiar with Flash Media Server, but I'd bet they're creating those FLV files on the fly by passing the user input to the server and letting the server-side code handle the creation of the flv file and its perisistence to the database.

kkbbcute
02-26-2009, 10:20 AM
My best guess would be that they're using a server technology to do that. The information needs to be persisted somehow (most likely entirely into a db, rather than a file system). I'm not super familiar with Flash Media Server, but I'd bet they're creating those FLV files on the fly by passing the user input to the server and letting the server-side code handle the creation of the flv file and its perisistence to the database.

Same here, they could just have specially programmed something into the server that said (in a crude way un-programming), "Take this bunch of movies and link them all together, and shove them into our flv exporter for export" or something.

yell0wdart
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Yep. It's not super difficult to do. Most server-side languages have similar ways of defining the file name, extension, MIME type, and capturing the file's byte stream to write to database columns.

kkbbcute
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Yep. It's not super difficult to do. Most server-side languages have similar ways of defining the file name, extension, MIME type, and capturing the file's byte stream to write to database columns.

Although all the exporting and compiling would need some serious processing power. At least if it runs 24/7 several hundred times a day.

yell0wdart
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, the server takes care of all that. So any decent web server should be able to handle the load. Definitely not something you'd want to serve up and allow hundred/thousands of users to hit at the same time on a shared hosting plan, though. ;)

/edit

I've developed app modules that do that sort of thing (emulating file systems, etc), but we've served them up internally via our app server on a really beefed up box. Once the database tables get pretty bloated with movies being saved, etc, the app performance can take a hit. At that point, the app is really only going to be as fast as the database.

kkbbcute
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Somehow or rather I doubt that the thread starter has 10 server racks running core i7's with 12 GBs or RAM each, so it might be a problem for him (performance wise). For example, exporting a ten minute long flv takes up 100% of my CPU for a good 4 minutes or so.

yell0wdart
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
LOL yea. The idea sounds cooler than it really is. He's not really taking into account that in order to do what the linked site does, he'd need a server farm and a really good DBA just to maintain it and keep performance up... in addition to the coding kung-fu required to write something like what he's describing.

kkbbcute
02-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Actually I am interested to know about the potential uses for creating flvs on the fly, maybe there may be other simpler solution s toget at what you are after.