PDA

View Full Version : sans serif font

Billy T
12-16-2002, 08:39 PM
Howdy

how can I make sure that my content text is displayed in a sans serif font like arial?

the text box is created with scripting so I have tried formating it with

myTextFormat.font = "_sans";

and

myTextFormat.font = "Arial";

They look fine on my comp but I have been told by others that they see a serif font like times new roman

Any ideas?

Here's the content I'm talking about - http://www.tableau.com.au/bailey/

Thanks

lbower
12-16-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm not actually answering your question, but I did want to comment on your site. It looks really good. I love the green and peach. The text is a little too light, but like I said, the background colors look great. Very appealing. The softness of it just makes it really nice to look at. Great design!

(I'll let you know if I actually come up with an answer to your question.)

Billy T
12-16-2002, 09:18 PM
I can't actually take credit for the design but I will pass on your compliments

cheers

Billy T
12-17-2002, 08:36 AM
anyone?

farafiro
12-17-2002, 09:01 AM
I donno if u know this b4 or not but, these three _sanx, _serif, and _typewriter are not a real fonts
as I do understand they just retrive the basic fonts from the system and display it

so if mine (the first basic font in my pc) is Times new roman, then the _sans will get it from the system and display it
I hope I'm right ;)

Billy T
12-17-2002, 09:35 AM
sure but wouldn't _sans get arial or helvetica from your system and _serif get Times new roman?

farafiro
12-17-2002, 11:33 AM
I think so, but you or any use can change that

Mortimer Jazz
12-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Displays fine for me, and yeah - nice design.
Er, is it possible the person/people who said this have deleted their standard fonts or something weird like that?

Plonk this in a swf and get them to run it

myArray = TextField.getFontList();
for( i in myArray){
trace(myArray[i]);
}
It will display a list of all fonts they have installed. Neat eh!

Mortimer Jazz
12-17-2002, 12:34 PM
er...okay you know what I mean. Obviously don't use trace unless they have their own copy of Flash :D

farafiro
12-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Mortimer Jazz
er...okay you know what I mean. Obviously don't use trace unless they have their own copy of Flash :D
heheheeeeeeeeeeeeee

tg
12-17-2002, 03:38 PM
billyt, cant you just include the font you want into your library, then link to that font in your code?

Mortimer Jazz
12-17-2002, 03:52 PM
yeah but tg if you're using _sans or other system font surely this shouldn't be happening anyways? :eek:

Mortimer Jazz
12-17-2002, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I wonder what browser player they've got. Get em to upgrade and see if that sorts it

Billy T
12-17-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies :)

Mortimer - a good idea but I don't think she has Flash installed. She did say that she had Helvetica though. They definitely have the latest Flash player

tg - I think I will have problems if I use an embedded font on the content text. Scrollbar issues and stuff...I'm sure I tried it anyway but I will try again

faffy - stop laughing and help me ;)

cheers

Billy T
12-17-2002, 08:58 PM
tg - yeah the scrollbar still worked and everything with an embedded font but the text was antialiased and all my html text formatting was lost (bold, bullet points etc)

cheers