PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs PC for flash

Yonderboy
04-27-2001, 12:42 PM
Could somebody tell me if PCs handle flash better than Macs? ive got a G3 266 at home and although I know its not the best mac out it seems to run flash so much slower than on my PC p3 800 at work? - is it just that the PC is that much faster or do macs just have a harder time with flash?

thanks for your help

Nick

Strok
04-27-2001, 01:09 PM
G3 266 = pII 266(PC)

pII 266(PC)works much slower than a PC p3 800 !!!!

Plus G3 is the lowest class of the MAC and it comes with 32mb of memory. And I'm sure you got at list a 128mb at work

Yonderboy
04-27-2001, 01:23 PM
CHeers

I spose I still think that my G3 is still a top end machine which it isnt any more

spose Id better upgrade (when the Ti gets upgraded :) )

sidewinder
05-01-2001, 04:14 PM
I work on a Mac G4 400Mhz to build my Flash movies, and I came to the conclusion that PCs are processing vector-based rendering faster than Macs. Even though I love the Mac OS interface, and it's speed and ease of use, it is proven that a PC process faster any animation done in Flash. Now, depending on the speed of the PC (i.e a P2 200Mhz), it might play slower than a G4 for intance... There's also an issue between the Flash Player, and browsers... and I found that a movie plays at its real speed in the browser, but can also be slower if the RAM is fragmented (on a Mac)...
There are many factors on the playback as you can see... testing, testing and documenting! Good luck.

P

Yonderboy
05-01-2001, 04:19 PM
cheers for that - I thought there was SOME difference although how much I dont know

Ive noticed that text is a bit dodgy as well :-(

come on flash 6! :)

bubaslubas
05-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Wrong, wrong and wrong. A G3 266 is NOT the equivalent to a PII 266, it's impossible to compare them by models... From my experience, I'd say that G3 is the equivalent of a PIII 500, more or less... As for the vector rendering, wrong again - just try Freehand in a mac and a PC and check who does the faster redrawing. It's all about the Flash Player for the Mac - it's slower and it's a processor/memory hogger.

Just setting the record straight. (Not a Mac zealot, by the way) ;)

Gibberish
05-13-2005, 05:26 PM
woah where did you dig up this thread?

madgett
05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
I think you need a new comp :)

stealthelephant
07-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I work on a Mac G4 400Mhz to build my Flash movies, and I came to the conclusion that PCs are processing vector-based rendering faster than Macs. Even though I love the Mac OS interface, and it's speed and ease of use, it is proven that a PC process faster any animation done in Flash. Now, depending on the speed of the PC (i.e a P2 200Mhz), it might play slower than a G4 for intance... There's also an issue between the Flash Player, and browsers... and I found that a movie plays at its real speed in the browser, but can also be slower if the RAM is fragmented (on a Mac)...
There are many factors on the playback as you can see... testing, testing and documenting! Good luck.

P

i a mac user (powerbook 1.25 g4, 1.25 gig memory) and the player does not run as well as its windows counterpart, but its no big secret that the player runs slower on a mac