PDA

View Full Version : Flash For Windows Mobile

Axonn
04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi. I know that there is a "Flash Lite" version for Windows Mobile. Does anybody know what features it sports? I looked on the Adobe website but, as corporate websites go, didn't find much info about it.

Does it support AS3? Does it support sound? Does it support video streaming?

CyanBlue
04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Maybe this is what you are looking for... FP7/AS2 is what they provide...
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer_pocketpc/

Axonn
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi CyanBlue, thanks for answering / sorry for the wrong forum post. However... nothing is written about AS3 there. Just standard corporate bullcrap ::- D.

Or does the fact that it uses Flash CS 3 automatically involve full AS3 compatibility?

CyanBlue
04-01-2009, 12:11 PM
It does say Flash Player 7 which means it only supports AS2 no matter what IDE you are using... ;)

Axonn
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Duh, sorry ::- D. & Thank you ::- ). Also... update your signature. You're now an Adobe Certified Flash Developer ;;- ).

CyanBlue
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah... I actually have certificates from Adobe and Macromedia... I just left Macromedia for sentimental reason... That kinda makes me feel older though... Oh, well... :(

Axonn
04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, you're pretty damn good anyway. I actually have the link with your 5000th post since 2004! And I WAS NOT using bookmarks then *laugh*. I had a crappy I.E. and I kept bookmarks in a Notepad file because it was more portable. I only had 10 bookmarks actually, only the most important stuff. Your ton of useful Flash stuff was among it. In 2005 when I switched to Opera I kept those "old" links in the Notepad file. In 2008 I moved that link in my Opera bookmarks ::- D. And now, after an almost 5 year break I'm back to Flash ::- D and I still have that link haha (that's like an eternity in software, so I'm pretty much a clean slate, having to relearn all of it... )

But hey, things changed... AS3 is definitely something worth doing! It evolved a lot and finally there is a worthy IDE for working with it (I'm talking about Flex 3).

That's why I'm pissed we don't have AS3 on Mobile. It would broaden the marketplace for Flash stuff, especially now that Windows Marketplace is going to come online. I don't suppose you can sell Flash apps on the iPhone store.

CyanBlue
04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Well... I guess it all boils down who you are targetting... I could be wrong since I was away from FlashLite life for quite a while, but FlashLite is going quite strong, and there are more devices that it is supporting... It's pity that the Windows Mobile devices or iPhone do not play along, but it's their strategy and you are basically stuck with their plan whether you can deploy FlashLite app on those devices or not... But I am sure the brighter days will come sooner or later... ;)

That bookmark... Dang... I plan to update it, but it is just a plan... I hardly have time to watch TV thesedays... :(

Axonn
04-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Tell me about it ::- D. Don't think I polished my shaft for 5 years ::- D. I was C#-ing and C++-ing all the way ::- D. As for the time... well... you know there's a Global Crisis, or so they say (actually I got fired because of it, which is why I finally got more time for my projects, thanks to some savings I got ::- D). What I really see, for most of us, Financial Crisis or not, is the TIME CRISIS. We don't have time for jack ****. Personally, I like keeping active though ::- D.

CyanBlue
04-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Ah... Sorry to hear that... Hope you are making this good opportunity for you... :)

Time crisis... Yeah... That's right... We need 36 hours a day at least... :(

Axonn
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I like the way you said it... "you are making this good opportunity for you". The truth is that if there's anything we can do, is to make stuff for ourselves. Nobody will make it for you ::- D. You gotta do it yourself.

What's also true is that unemployment has its advantages: sleep whenever you want and most importantly, work at whatever you want. Of course, you need a bit of cash stashed up somewhere, otherwise it would be stressful. I also found a small C# Mobile project. But the thing is, I got more time for myself, and that's cool. Did you ever take like... a sabbatical year or so? Isn't it great to evolve on your own without having to put up with boring tasks?

It was one of my dreams to make games even since 11 years ago when I started programming. I kept trying but was too inexperienced and lacked a team to do it. Now that I got a ton of experience in programming and also a designer, the thing hit me... to make Flash games, 'cause I also found that mochiads.com website which offers revenue from commercials. I actually tried with a 3D engine but unfortunately the guy working at it couldn't really finish enough of it to make sense investing time in building a game around it. But all of the sudden, this Flash craze hit me: DAMN! THIS IS A VALID 2D GAME ENGINE, and I also have now somebody to help with the design, somebody trustworthy. So now if I can combine my dream since I was a 14 year old kid with a little bit of money, it would be great. I don't need much. 500 dollars per month would pay my bills. After that, I could keep on going. I just hope I can do that 500... from what I heard, there are people who get around 900 from a few mochi games. True, they're good games but anyway...

So that's why I asked about Windows Mobile. I got some experience with that and you know... Microsoft Marketplace is on the way. So I was wondering in how many places can a game I make in Flash go? I know PCs can, both Mac, Windows & Linux. What about iPhone, Nintendo wii and such...

Thommas
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I belive Flash Game won't be available on Mobile Markets.

Flash Game requires the flash plugin and is not downloadable Over The Air yet ... The Flash Lite Distributable Player solved partially this problem.

But still, I don't think you will be able to sell easily Flash Game on mobile.

If you manage to sell a Flash Game on a mobile market, please let me know.

Have a look at www.ayle.fr (it's a GPS Video Game I made with little money and few people).

CyanBlue
04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
A sabbatical year would be wonderful, but I really doubt that any company these days will offer such...

Yeah... Game is a wonderful subject where there are many possibilities to go about... I am sure you need a good team of people to strategize the whole plan, but once you have an idea and the direction, it is just a matter of achieving it... You make a PC version in Flash as a guide line and a tester version to see how it is going to look like and whether it will actually make a good game or not... and then simply enhance it to create a desktop version and port it to FlashLite and see how it goes on the market... If it succeed, you can then move onto other platforms... It won't be too hard to port it to another language once you've done it in Flash... J2ME still is a safe one to go with when it comes with the mobile app and you have good exposure with it on multiple devices...

It's just that there are too many options when it comes to monetizing from your mobile app... Too many distributors/carriers restrictions and whatnots... plus money to get multiple devices to test on...

Well... Good luck with your plan and don't forget to let us know how it goes and what you come up with... ;)

Thommas
04-02-2009, 03:19 PM
"What about iPhone, Nintendo wii and such..."
Check UNITY3D : http://unity3d.com/

Axonn
04-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Wow, it's been a hectic week! I've spent a lot of time resurrecting my organization's website and working at other things. Will go deep into Flash now.

Thomas: Hi and thank you for your resources / advice. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to splash on such an expensive game framework. I'd rather learn the iPhone API and develop my own framework.

CyanBlue: A sabbatical year would be wonderful, but I really doubt that any company these days will offer such...

They did, they did offer. They fired me. *laugh* hahahaha ::- D. The project died and they fired everybody. They offered a sabbatical to all of us ::- D. Of course, some went to search for work in other places, I didn't ::- D. Another alternative is if you want to leave the company anyway. You leave, wait for a while before you find something else. Crisis or no crisis, good people are *always* in demand ;;- ).

I am very busy with lots of stuff. I'm not only into Flash, as I said. I got a few C# apps with which I manage my www.funfoll.com website. I also got a freeware & Open Source project (windows clock replacement) www.axonnsd.org ... (this is a windows app but the first version had Flash UI using an ActiveX ... Farafiro helped me in several places where I was having trouble - I saw he isn't active around here too much lately... I gotta write him an e-mail). I dropped the Flash eventually because it was too noobish... you know what face you make when you look over the stuff you did in 2004 *laugh*. That ASD Clock and other free / open projects... they are my contribution to everybody who helped me all over the 'net... Forums and such. It's not huge, but I got an bigger thing coming, in C# ::- D.

But hell... I'm still a gamer at heart but also a builder, so I'd rather be BUILDING than playing...

And yeah, I'm gonna be more active around here ::- D. C# just isn't enough to keep me entertained.

And if anybody is curious... http://www.axonnsd.org/asdclock/ (I made a 3 year break with this organization of mine, but now since I got all this time, I'm gonna go serious with it).

This is actually the first place on the Internet I placed this link! Whoever reads this is the first to read about my stuff going into public domain ::- D. In fact, I didn't even get the chance to upload the sources on SourceForge, gotta do that next week.

It kind of makes sense you know.......... this is the very first Forum I was part of in my life. I joined Code Project in 2003 but it was not a Forum and I didn't receive so much help in that period when compared to how many people helped me around here, Farafiro most of all. Took me 5 years to actually come back with something and ironically, it isn't Flash (yet ::- D ).

So... this is my very long post... and I think I'll mail Farafiro the link, that guy deserves lots of thanks, even though I dropped the Flash UI out of ASD Clock 3 years ago.